1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Turning a "Dell XPS 400" into a ATX system/Case, Need advice / help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ryoung46, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ryoung46

Ryoung46 Thread Starter

Please help me,

I have read about this same problem on so many forums and now it is me.

I didn't know any better at the time and bought a Dell XPS 400 a while back. The only thing I have added is 2G of RAM.

I recently have looked into upgrading my Graphics card to a 8800GT and realized very quickly that my Power supply is only 375W and that it is a "Dell" BTX system that can't fit any other PSU into it.

Did I mention that Dell sucks?

So to my questiuons:

#1 -
    How would I go about making a new computer? Would it be an ATX system that I would want to make? Is that one more common and easier to match parts and upgrade?

#2 -
    Would I be able to use most of my hardware from the "Dell XPS 400" BTX system in a new ATX system? What would I have to replace?

I researched this a little and believe I would need a new ATX motherboard right?

I bought a Dell XPS 400 and now I'm worthless.... crying... in my closet... in the dark :(

Please help me

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

You don't even want to think about converting a Dell to another form factor. Dell's are hardy meant to be upgraded much less change a form factor.

Sell you Dell and either build a machine or have someone build a machine for you.

3. Chris A

Chris A

This might be a option. http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=dellconverter

Just buy the Adapter and a new PSU at another place and you might be done.

4. Ryoung46

Ryoung46 Thread Starter

5. Chris A

Chris A

You might be able to as long as the motherboard can fit. I dont think the motherboard bolt holes will line up but if you can get most of them to line up it should be ok if you use that adapter.. One thing though is that the pin outs for the connectors might be a guessing game. Power button, USB and HD lite..

If you do decide to try it make sure that no risers on the case touch the bottom of the motherboard. All drives should just pop right in. ATX is what you are looking for. Mesure the bolt down holes on your MB then mesure the ones on the case.

With that Adapter and you being creative it could work but it might be a lot of work. Plus there could be a few surprizes with all the connectors.

6. brite750

brite750

boy I have to agree with poster that said sell this puppy and start from scratch, from the pictures and specs I dont see what you would want to save this thing for. the MB is totally different than an atx MB and would most likely not fit any other case, if you buy a new MB you would have to buy a new OS as well because Dell os is keyed to the MB bios.

7. brite750

brite750

8. Ryoung46

Ryoung46 Thread Starter

Yeah, I have to start putting some money aside and live with this thing Dell calls a computer for a while.

I think I just had to hear it from someone else.

Thanks for the info.

9. brite750

brite750

we try to warn folks about branded pcz, they have their uses, like for grand mothers and office workers:D

10. Ryoung46

Ryoung46 Thread Starter

That would be nice but I wouldn't have a clue to what ATX PSU would fit into the "Dell XPS 400" BTX case

11. dpp

dpp

Do not use that adapter. It is designed for when Dell used proprietary power supplies instead of standard ATX before 2000 or 2001. See Link

BTX power supplies normally use the same power connector with the same wiring pattern as ATX.
    See link
    Just to be sure, make sure that the wiring pattern on the old Dell power Supply matches that of the new ATX power supply so that you don't fry your MB or power supply. However the physical shape of the power supply might be different so that you may need a new BTX case to fit the new power supply.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree you will always have problems trying to fit a dell into a standard type case. If you get the screw holes to line up, you will have pci slots that will not line up with the case.

I assume you want a system for gaming [the 8800 series card] Just build a system OR have a local shop build one for you. You will be much happier in the long run.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/656201

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice