1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Turning modem into access point

Discussion in 'Networking' started by turbow5, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. turbow5

turbow5 Thread Starter

Correct me I'm wrong on this please.

My modem and rotuer have double NAT. I am not the only one in my house so I can't mess with the router a lot, but turning the NAT off in my modem and assigning the new IP to my static IP router, by turning off DHCP in the router. Will make my modem a access point. (y)

Am I right upon that? If I am where do I tell the modem what the new IP is to the router? I have all these options but I don't specifically see routers IP or something relevant to that.

2. gurutech

gurutech

If you turn off the DHCP server on your modem, then connect one of the LAN ports from your modem to a LAN port on the other modem (with DHCP server enabled), then you will be able to connect to it and receive an IP address from the other modem, similar to your router being an access point.

You will need to set your router to be the same SSID (network name), encryption method (WEP/WPA), and password in order to do this. The only difference between the two modems should be that yours should have DHCP off, and the other should be on, and the "channel" should be different between both modems, so that the frequencies do not overlap. (When I set up a customer with access points, I set the channel for "auto" and that takes care of the problem, but setting one for 6 and one for 10 or 11 should be enough.)

Also, be sure to hard-code an IP address for your modem on the same subnet as the other modem, and then exclude that IP address from the range of assigned IP's on the other router. (ie. if the other router assigns addresses from 192.168.10.100 to 192.168.10.200, then you should hard-code your router for 192.168.10.201 or higher (up to .254).

3. turbow5

turbow5 Thread Starter

2 modems? I only have 1. So is there some workaround for that?

4. gurutech

gurutech

So you have one modem and one router? Or a modem and 2 routers?

What are the make/model of each device (other than computers) you have?

5. turbow5

turbow5 Thread Starter

1 Router and 1 Modem.

Modem- speedstream 4300

Router- linksys E3000

If you'd like I could post pictures of the two?

6. gurutech

gurutech

I don't see much online about the motorola 4300, but I believe it's a DSL modem, not "cable" modem.

If it is a DSL modem, chances are it has multiple LAN ports on it, along with a standard "phone line" connection (which connects you to the internet).

You can connect everything as I mentioned above, disabling DHCP on the Linksys, and connecting it to the DSL modem from one of its LAN ports to a LAN port on the DSL modem (leaving the WAN port open on the Linksys), and disable Wifi on the DSL modem (if it has it).

OR

You can connect the WAN port on the Linksys to a LAN port on the DSL modem, but this would be very confusing, as your "WAN" on the Linksys would have an IP address in the same subnet as anything else you connect to the DSL modem, but would then assign IP addresses (possibly on a different subnet) to anything that connects to your Linksys.

The best thing to do is the first option IMHO.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083319

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice