1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Turning Off Default Annoyance

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Henry L. deZeng, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Henry L. deZeng

Henry L. deZeng Thread Starter

I have a very annoying default feature in my Win 10/Office 10 (actually Libre Office 5.4) software. Whenever I type an abbreviation, the software automatically capitalizes the next letter. Example:

SCHNITZELWINCKEL, Bartholomus. 01.08.44 Oblt. In 4./Flak-Abt. 773, trf to Flak-Schule II,
    instead of:
    SCHNITZELWINCKEL, Bartholomus. 01.08.44 Oblt. in 4./Flak-Abt. 773, trf to Flak-Schule II.

Since it does this by default, there must be a way to shut it off. Any idea?

Thanks,

Larry deZeng

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I suspect it is treating the period as the end of a sentence and automatically capitalizing the first letter of the next word, believing its the start of a new sentence. There should be a autocorrect tools option to disable the capitalization of the first word of a sentence. You will then need to make sure you actually capitalize the first letter of the first word in a sentence on your own.

3. Henry L. deZeng

Thanks, Chuck -

I found your suggestion here:
    It's TOOLS > AUTO CORRECT > AUTO CORRECT OPTIONS. But it's a maze and I couldn't make it work.
    I then had a colleague with 35 years of PC experience take a look at it, but neither he nor his equally qualified brother could make it work either.
    But thanks again for replying.

Larry

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  5. Henry L. deZeng

Hi Frank -

That's probably an excellent suggestion because I thought this software was supposed to automatically update itself, but apparently it doesn't. My LibreOffice 5.4 was installed by a local computer repair shop last November without my knowledge or permission and I hate it after using MS Office for the past 18 years. It might be delusional to hope Libre has fixed this annoyance. Lots of the features I became used to are missing from Libre and it has a lot of quirks similar to the one we are discussing here. It is quite disheartening and disconcerting because I am a historical researcher and author who is on my computer 8 to 10 hours a day/7 days a week. I am toying with the idea of just buying a new machine bundled with the latest MS software for desktop computers, that is if they still make desktops. ((n)) At age 80, I had best make up my mind before it is too late. Thanks again,

Larry
    U.S. Army 1957-63
    USAF 1963-68
    Vietnam Vet

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've never been able to get it to self-update, so I manually search for a new version every few weeks.
    I pretty much use only its "Writer" app, so most of its features don't get used by me.

U.S. Army
    Mar 66 - Apr 69
    Vietnam
    Oct 1967 - Mar 1968 (combat wounded)

-------------------------------------------------------------

7. Henry L. deZeng

That's interesting to know, Frank. AOL does all of the updating automatically for its paying members, dumping huge downloads onto my machine every 3 or 4 weeks, so much of it that it can be a nuisance at times. Naturally, I thought this included Libre updates. I will then download the 6.0 edition (200+ MB) as soon as I can set some time aside.

Larry
    Korat/Thailand, Jan 1967 - Jan 1968
    100% disabled - non-combat (but combat related. I was
    "in the way" when a fully-loaded F-105 Thunderchief
    blew up at the end of the runway.)

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The main thing is neither of us came home in a body bag. ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice