1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

turning off .exe, .mp3, etc on the file name

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bucsaa18, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bucsaa18

bucsaa18 Thread Starter

I don't know how to do this. And example is like Rock n' Roll Ain't Noise pollution.mp3 in the filename. or document1.doc, with the .doc appearing after the name. how do i turn this off?

2. awalker0878

awalker0878 Removed by request

start\control panel\folder options\view\check hide extensions of known filetypes

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

However, I recommend against doing this. One of the ways that spyware/malware infects your machine is by disguising themselves as something else. With the file extensions turned off, they frequently succeed without you knowing how it happened.

One of the first steps I take on a new install is to display all file extensions and hidden files.

4. Colossus610

Colossus610

I agree fully with his statement, as I do the exact same thing on new systems, if you download a file named example.mp3.exe, Windows by default will hide that last ".exe" so all you see is .mp3 and accordingly click on it thinking it's some music file, when it actually an executable file that will do who knows what.

Why the need to hide the extension?

5. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Let me toss my voice in as well. Your system security is substantially enhanced - and the liklihood of you being fooled and doing something you will regret is greatly reduced - when the file extensions are visible.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Bring 'em on, pile on here! :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437030

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice