1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Turning off the login screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Christoph, Sep 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Christoph

Christoph Thread Starter

Windows XP has a login screen for different users (I imagine other versions do too), but I'm the only user on my computer. It never used to show up before until yesterday and I'm not quite sure why it's doing so now. It's no big problem, but I'd rather have it turned off completely like before, as every time the computer turns on or if the screensaver is exited the login screens pops up. How can I turn it off?

2. Augie65

Augie65

1. At a command prompt, type control userpasswords2 and press Enter to open the Windows User Accounts applications.

2. On the Users tab, uncheck the Users Must Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer check box and then click OK.

3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the user name and password for the account you want to be
    logged on each time you start your computer.
    You might also need to right click an empty spot on the desktop, select properites, on the Screen Saver tab: uncheck On resume, password protect.

3. Christoph

Christoph Thread Starter

I don't know what my password is though, I've never had to use it before.

4. Augie65

Augie65

If you want you can leave the password blank and not use a password. Here is another article on windows password.

5. Christoph

Christoph Thread Starter

A strange thing happened when I turned on my computer. It said something along the lines of "System could not log you in" and I think I hit ok and it just brought me to a screen with my name (the login screen) and I clicked my name and it let me in. What's wrong with this thing and how do I fix it?

6. Augie65

Augie65

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!