1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Turning-off Vector Generator- Say What?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by webzter, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Hi Good Morning;

Re; w98biz....went to install "ZONE ALARM" and an error was generated..."a memory violation has occured in kernal 32(numeric value)...

I went to reinstall, same thing-

Thought i could remove and reinstall, but am unable to complete because i need to..." turn-off VECTOR Generator and/all vector software"-

I usually run w2000 and i dont have a clue-can somone PLEASE give me a hand, preferably UNINSTALLING-which involves turning off the VECTOR GENERATOR AND/OR all VECTOR software?

Many thanks in advance-
    WEBZ

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

It means to turn off zone alarm before attempting to uninstall it.

You can do this by hitting alt-ctr-del and terminating the process for it if you can't do it any other way.

3. BillC

BillC

Gotrootdude has the right idea to turn off True Vector. I'd like to add you need to look for vsmon.exe and not an application called "true vector".

4. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Thank you both for the assist-- fact is-i'm not able to run ZA because as i said, i never got the chance to install it-

When I first tried to install- received the error message re "MEMORY VIOLATION KERNAL 32," went to remove and reinstall and thats when I received VECTOR message - are you thinking the pc believes i am running it even though I'm not- then what do i do?

5. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Do a search for vsmon.exe. Then delete.

6. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Actually,i had just finished a search before returning and ive already located it-i can just do a deletion?

(edit)
    I found 2 vsmon.exe files.....one in the ZA file, the other one in its own- should they both go?

appreciate the suggestion-thanks!

7. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

That's odd. How many times did you try to install Zone Alarm?

8. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Right click on both files and choose properties. Do they both say they are the same EXACT file? Do they match?

9. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

couple times, but i was always turned away re "the VECTOR GENERATOR" and/or software was"running"...

10. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

You should only have ONE copy of that file. When you tried to reinstall it, it should have overwritten the first copy of it. Since it didn't I'm concerned about what proggie put it there. I would do this. Delete the one that is in the ZA folder.

Reboot.

See if that fixes your problem. If it doesn't then I would rename the other file to something like vsmon.old and reboot and see if that fixes your problem. If it does I would wait a few weeks before deleting the second one, just in case it belongs to another proggie (which it shouldn't).

11. BillC

BillC

I'm not sure just what will work but here is my idea to fix things. If you can, do this: Download the pro version of ZA 4.0 (go to download.com and do a search for ZoneAlarm) and go thru the whole thing like you were going to leave it on, select a clean install when it asks, then go into the start menu and the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties.

Now in the target box you need to add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe /clean" {without the quotes} then click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of ZA for you. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything, then find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin. ZA should be gone.

Now you can try to reinstall a "clean" copy.

Also, please read this Customer Care page before you attempt the above. It could be a conflict with older video card drivers. Check with your manufacturer's support for the latest drivers.

12. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

thanks everyone for your help!

as for the two files-they are identical down to time, bit count .etc.

as for attempting a fresh install- i tried numerous times- i am unable to do so because...."unable to shut down Vector
    service"-

thanks again

13. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

It was our pleasure to help you :D

If they are the same files then you should be able to delete them. I would also run AdAware and spybot as spyware will also cause these problems, and they have been known to use program file names as a disguise ;)

14. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

PS....to clarify, on the reinstallation download, i get half way thru the unpaking/installation and the vector error message pops-up- so i can get a complete install-... thanks

15. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

I would check for spyware and/or viruses.

Something, or "someone" doesn't want you to install ZoneAlarm, which is EXACTLY why you should install it ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice