1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tutorial On Unpacking Executables???

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Politicaldog, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Politicaldog

Politicaldog Thread Starter

Hello Everyone,

I'm in the process of creating a CD to send to my sister. Since she has a rather SLOW...(Dial Up) hehehe Connection. It was esier for me to load her upgrades to file then create a disk for her to upgrade her Presario.

I'm in need of a tutorial on unpacking exe. files. I've searched all over and not found anything that a newbie might understand.

Anyone got any links?

Sure could use the help.

Thanks
    Politicaldog:)

2. hewee

hewee

Politicaldog,

Welcome to TSG :)

Don't know what you mean by unpacking exe but if you mean to break up a file into smaller peices then get Chainsaw a free file splitting tool.

http://www.schmeusser.siw.de/software/chainsaw.html

It will cut it up and make a batch file to put it all back together for you.

3. Politicaldog

I'm looking for more of an explanation when they click on an executable file as to how and where to put it!!!

Thanks

4. hewee

hewee

Your have to wait for someone else to answer you ok.

I got to go. Good luck :)

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

This is sort of a naive answer, but, what you are looking for depends on what the exe's are.

If they are zipped exe's (ie: if you run it, it will unpack the files), you can include the default unpack folder when you build the exe.
    If it is an install/setup exe, and the install was built well, then all of the defaults should be there and should be valid.
    If it is your normal, run of the mill exe, then it is just going to run.

Can you explain better what these files are?

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Politicaldog

Welcome to TSG!

I am sure your sister will appreciate the effort and time savings. Give me an example of the executables you are talking about. Are they Compaq specific or are they Windows updates and also where did you retrieve these updates from?

Dave

7. Politicaldog

8. Davey7549

Davey7549

Politicaldog

The downloads you directed me to are what I call self contained executables. When they are invoked by double clicking them they will unpack and install their contents on the receiving machine.

Once you have burned the items to a data CD have your Sister create a new folder within her "My Documents" folder and name it Compaq Updates. Now have her place your CD in the CD Rom drive. Once drive spins down have her go to "My Computer and locate the the drive that contains the CD. Right click the drive and select Explore. The Contents you placed on the CD will appear. Have Her Select all contents and click copy. After copy have her go to the new folder in my documents and paste the contents there.
    CD can be removed after copy.

Now have her go to the my docs Compaq folder and right click select properties of items sent. Make sure there is no checkmark in the "Read Only" box, is so remove check and click Apply then OK.

After all Read Onlys are removed She can double click each of the executables one at a time and follow the install prompts to completion.

Note: This is the very basic instructions for transferring such executables and using them. If any one of them you are sending require special sequencing or special procedures RE: Safemode then you will have to instruct her about those special requirements if they are listed at the Website.

Dave

9. Politicaldog

I have included a text file in each subfolder containing the text that Compaq provide and the Exe file. I have instructed her to read and print the text so they have it in front of them as the process unfolds. I have set each sub file..ie..Dispay...DVD...etc. with special instruction and also a comprehensive How To on formatting a disk since some require them to be put on a 3.25 disk and reboot to load.

Any other ideas?..lol Its just so hard to instruct someone that is really a mail reader and slight internet surfer and hope they don't crash it all...lol

I only had their PC for 4 hours the other day as they were passing through and back to reload the system. Hard drive was 3/4 full...and I think they had an icon on the desktop for every program and game known to man..rofl

Thanks

10. Davey7549

Davey7549

Politicaldog
    LOL!!! Looks as if you may be getting a few calls on what to do when the system starts to slow. 3/4 full not much more they can effectively stuff in there!

As far as instructions you can only do so much and they will have to take it the rest of the way. If they have managed to get this far with filling 3/4 of the drive with no major problems they should be OK! Most of the .exe's will require little intervention but the preparation and sequence is important.

Let us know how it turns out.

Dave

11. Politicaldog

And thanks for all the help....At least I feel more reasurred I'm doing all I can....before the BIG BANG .

Thanks

12. Davey7549

Davey7549

Big Bang!!!!!!:D LOL

Don't Worry this guy will help!

See attached!

Dave

Attached Files:

13. Politicaldog

Even ol' Wonder Dog might be putting her paws over the eyes..lol

14. Davey7549

Davey7549

Now thats cute! Somehow ol' wonder dog will come through!

Dave

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115631

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice