1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tutorial Partition Lubuntu 18.04 LTS

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Limon, Sep 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Limon

Limon Thread Starter

Hello

I am using a WXP Pc to install Lubuntu 18.04 LTS. I have erased the Hard Drive, but I may be proceeding the wrong way to install.

Can someone please give me step by step tutorial on how to accomplish task. I need to partition so that Lubuntu is on one section, similar to how Windows O S is installed. Thank you.

2. tecknurd

tecknurd

Linux requires two partitions. One is for root directory or / and the other is swap. Linux file system structure is directory and file. While Windows file system structure is drive, directory, and file. Linux mounts its partitions to a directories. Windows mounts its partitions to drives. If you want all hard drive space be given to Linux, the chosen default partition scheme should work just fine. I don't see the point of giving you a tutorial. Since your hard drive is empty, you can either use gparted which Linux Mint includes to make partitions or use the installer to make partitions. When using the installer, select other or advanced option to customized the partitions and what directories are mounted to what partition. Also it will give you choices of file systems. The tried and true file systems to be used in Linux are EXT4 and XFS.

3. Limon

Limon Thread Starter

Thank you. As you will have guessed I am new to Linux.

So what is the sequence ? Do I install Lubuntu first, followed by gparted or vice versa ?.

4. tecknurd

tecknurd

The sequence is inserting the Lubuntu disc and hopefully, it boots into a GUI environment. I'm saying hopefully heavily because Lubuntu and other Linux distributions may have problems on some hardware to boot into the GUI environment. If successful, then double-click install. Next, follow the installer. Again the default partition scheme that the installer gives you is OK. If you messed up, you can start all over. Messing up is the part of the learning experience. You don't learn if you didn't mess up.

The ways how to do things in Linux doesn't always go in chronological order like it is in Windows. Technically, there are no standards like there is in Windows, so finding steps how to do them is frustrating. It's best to read how-tos, tutorials, blogs, or whatever you get on the Internet and find out if it works on your setup.

Go break or mess up your computer. I lost count how many times I did.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    This video should help. You do know you can 'try' Lubuntu without installing first ?

6. Limon

Limon Thread Starter

Many thanks. I find this explanation most helpful. I knew I wasn't getting the right result when attempting to install, but I did not know why. Different from Windows OS.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!