1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tutorial Section

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by EmpireTech, Apr 15, 2010.

Advertisement
  1. EmpireTech

EmpireTech Thread Starter

I really think would be a good forum to add here.

Maybe have it as a category with subcats. like Software, Hardware, Server, OS

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

(y) (y)

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

6. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

I learned vista on the sister site of that forum...although I never joined,I spent alot of time on that site.
    You guessed it...the tutorials....I had almost joined just to say good work.

The library here while informative,is separate from the forums therefore will not be found as often as could be,perhaps a link to the library should be available in more places in the tech threads,maybe over the tag area.{upper right corner}
    So lets say someone is in the xp forum...a link could be made called tutorials taking you the the following link

http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Category:Windows

7. JohnWill

The Library link appears on every page at the top. I'm not sure how much "more" available we'd have to make it. :)

8. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Maybe the name is part of the problem? Or maybe we need to advertise it somewhere else? I don't know... Maybe we need to do a contest or something to encourage folks to create some tutorials there. :)

9. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Links named "Tutorials" that led to specific areas of the library would help....The library could still be called the library of course as they would just be clicking on the word tutorial to go to specific area in the library....The main library link could remain as it is for "home" for the library.
    I think the library would get used alot more by tutorial links in the tech sections....the more people that go to the library also the better chance of people also adding to it.

10. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I never liked the layout or presentation of a Wiki for tutorials.

Wiki's are ok for most things, just not tutorials.

11. JohnWill

I'm not sure why the WiKi precludes having a perfectly good tutorial.

12. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    You could have a category Tutorials, linked from the main page. Anything of that sort could be flagged as a tutorial while leaving it where it is. Personally I doubt that a link from say the Mac OS room to the mac OS category would be very useful for a few reasons:

There aren't enough posts in the categories.
    Tutorials applicable across systems are missed.
    It is easier to maintain one tutorial with a few system specific lines than a number of clones (see maintenence for an example of such a tutorial.)
    And most importantly there are posts, such as Antispyware, which are not tutorials but would appear in their propper category. This could seriously confuse people, especially if they are after such a tutorial.

Perhaps once the thing grows it could be split up, but that's my view for the present.

PS. I think a competition is a GREAT idea. I just hope it doesn't start till my GCSEs are over :(.

13. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

Hi there!

Has anyone toyed with the idea of creating a forum for tutorials? Everyone in the community has their strengths and I wouldn't mind seeing user-submitted (with mod approvals, of course) on various topics that I don't know about and this would be a great reference point for repeat technical issues in the other forums.

For example, one could create a Removing Strict NAT Settings for XBox Live tutorial with a step-by-step guide on how to perform the task. When another user posts the same question, the tutorial could be referenced rather than another explanation typed up or a link to another post, which links to another post, which links to another post, etc. ;)

Anyway, just something I was thinking about. :)

14. stantley

stantley

15. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

Actually, yes! Something just like that, but maybe not so ugly. :D

We should totally do that.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917117

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice