TV as computer monitor

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Varekai

My router and iMac are in a back room. I'm trying to use my tv as a computer monitor with a cat7 cable from the router to my av receiver or my dishnetwork set. I can get a connection but can't get to my computer home page to use tv as a monitor. I can also connect wirelessly but not as a monitor. HELP

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Have you tried a HDMI cable from the computer to the TV?

Varekai

Have you tried a HDMI cable from the computer to the TV?
I don't have an HDMI port on my computer and all of the USB ports are being used. I connected the cat7 cord from my router to the av receiver and tried the dishnetwork DVR. I have a USB on my router that I could get an hdmi converter for. Will that work?

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I have never heard that this was a working method of using a CAT 5 connection for video.

Oddba11

Jim
It's My Birthday!
The Cat5 connection on the TV is for network connectivity. ie: for the TV to access the internet or to pull files from a network file share.

It's not a video input. To use the TV as a monitor, you need a video output from the computer as noted above. The only (video) connection type in common (between the computer and TV), will likely be HDMI.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I think some TV's have a USB connection that will also provide the viewing service.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online