1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

TV as computer monitor

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Varekai, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Varekai

Varekai Thread Starter

My router and iMac are in a back room. I'm trying to use my tv as a computer monitor with a cat7 cable from the router to my av receiver or my dishnetwork set. I can get a connection but can't get to my computer home page to use tv as a monitor. I can also connect wirelessly but not as a monitor. HELP

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Have you tried a HDMI cable from the computer to the TV?

3. Varekai

Varekai Thread Starter

I don't have an HDMI port on my computer and all of the USB ports are being used. I connected the cat7 cord from my router to the av receiver and tried the dishnetwork DVR. I have a USB on my router that I could get an hdmi converter for. Will that work?

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    I have never heard that this was a working method of using a CAT 5 connection for video.

5. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    The Cat5 connection on the TV is for network connectivity. ie: for the TV to access the internet or to pull files from a network file share.

It's not a video input. To use the TV as a monitor, you need a video output from the computer as noted above. The only (video) connection type in common (between the computer and TV), will likely be HDMI.

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    I think some TV's have a USB connection that will also provide the viewing service.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217378

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice