1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

TV captions

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by staffingpro, Feb 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. staffingpro

staffingpro Thread Starter

I have a 3-4 year old Samsung smart TV connected to a 1 yer old Yamaha receiver. A few day ago it started shooing captions from most channels, not netflex or any of the other steaming groups. Have go to settings on both units, especially the tv and turned off captions. But it does not go away. What do I need to do to get rid go this. Looking forward to any reply. Gary

2. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Hello Gary!

So when you turn your TV on, it displays the captions on the TV. Does this happen the same way everytime? Does it occur when you are streaming videos (you mentioned Netflix), and over the air (antenna) programs? Or do you have a satellite/cable TV receiver?

What is the model of your Samsung television?

Do you recall if you were adjusting anything on the TV with the remote or the menu, when this started occurring?

3. staffingpro

Here is the Samsung unit TV UN55ES6150. the captions only appear when the major station is playing, ABC, CBS, FOX etc. does not appear when running Netflex or prime . I have direct TV not the streaming version. NO Antenna. Have gone to setting on the TV and turned off captioning, does not change a thing. Went to direct TV setting nothing there. Nothing was changed to my knowledge from any adjustment or with the remote. I pretty like ot leave things along if everything is working. Look forward to your reply. Gary

4. 2twenty2

2twenty2

5. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    I might start with making sure the closed caption is turned off on your Direct TV. There are different versions, so see if you can access the CC as listed below:
    1. On your DIRECTV remote, press INFO.
    2. On the screen, select CC.
    3. Select DIRECTV Subtitles.
    4. If you prefer, you can also select Closed Captioning in the CC menu.

Once you are sure the Direct TV is not generating the closed caption, you can start narrowing down other options.

6. staffingpro

The direct TV did not get rid of the sub titles.

7. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    You mentioned the Yamaha receiver. Are you running any video through it, or just audio?

8. staffingpro

The internet cable comes into the direct TV box, then to the receiver, then it is cabled to the TV. Hope this answers your question.

9. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Ok, thank you. Basically... something is pushing this closed caption to your screen. Its most likely one of the devices; but it could be the provider.

So given that your video does go to the receiver, check its settings and see if there is something you can turn off.

Other than that, the only thing I can think of is to see which network the caption is showing up on, and call them.

10. staffingpro

OK thanks

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1204700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice