1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

TV, Integrated graphics, and resolution problems.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by psam3, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psam3

psam3 Thread Starter

About a month ago when I purchased a 32in TV with a VGA PC input I gave away my regular computer monitor. I think I made a big mistake. Ever since then I haven't been able to get into my BIOS, play games, or even install different operating systems. I was under the impression that the bios screen displayed in 800x600 resolution and my TV just didn't support it and that's why I couldn't see it. The screen is completely black and sometimes says "Input Not Supported" until I reach the login screen for Windows 7 on one computer or the Ubuntu login screen on my other computer.

However, last night I was sick of not being able to do anything but be in Windows so I set the resolution of the Windows 7 PC to 800x600 and it worked. So does that mean the bios screen is in 600x480 or whatever that resolution is? After changing it back I remembered the integrated graphics (ATI Radeon HD 3200) had an HDMI output so I switched to that and guess what, I could now see all the screens I couldn't see before (BIOS and games). The sound was nowhere to be found though. I'm guessing it was trying to send the sound through the HDMI cable now and it just wasn't hooked up right. Not only that but the screen looked very bad through HDMI and wouldn't even fill the whole thing out no matter the resolution.

So basically what my questions are:
    1. Is it a problem with my TV, graphics card, or maybe even the drivers for the graphics?
    2. Why am I not getting sound through HDMI?
    3. What resolution does a computer typically display in while in the BIOS menu and operating system loading screens?
    4. Why doesn't a new game like Far Cry 2 default to a resolution like 1024x768? (Or does it but something is just wrong somewhere?)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/817857

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice