1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tv into a Monitor part 2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Friggerpants, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Friggerpants

Friggerpants Thread Starter

Ok, so I have brought a cable to link my Laptop into my TV. It works brill. It uses a scart plug on the back of my TV. The problem is that even though it works, My TV screen shows black and white only. What shall i do?

2. rmay635703

rmay635703

My friend had that problem with his video card, it seemed the order he turned on the system and attached the tv mattered, also in the video card options there was a setting for black and white or color, but the color option was shaded grey unless he had the TV plugged in before he turned on his PC. Also the resolution affected whether the tv was B/W or color, lots of BS with those things.

Try a couple things and post back. I recommend standard VGA 640x480 when plugged into a tv.

Good Luck

3. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Check in the driver settings of the video card to make sure you have it set to NTSC-M format if you are useing it in the states.

4. Friggerpants

I aint, I'm in the UK.

Update

I brought an S video to composite, Do I plug it staight in TV and switch on?
    Or is there a certain channel touse on My TV?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You have to change the channel to whatever one recieves input from the S-Video; ie Line 1, Input 1, CH 01, etc.

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

UK Television uses the PAL system

7. Friggerpants

Tried, it don't work.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may need to go into the video card's display settings and enable the TV out function. Its also best to have the TV plugged in before you turn on the computer.

9. GregFenton

GregFenton

I have not noticed if you said the brand of card, I had the same problem with an Nvidia GeForce4 MX440 8xAGP, and could get colour on a large TV with SVHS, but not on a normal SCART set, only receiving a greyscale picture.

I tried all ways, and in the end I ditched the Nvidia card and bought an ATI Radeon 9200SE from Maplin for £35.00, and now have excellent colour on all my TVs that have video in.

HTH

Edit: eep you have a laptop.. not an option
    In your TV setup, try to find an option to enable SVHS input through a scart lead, otherwise you will be there for a while.. Try a different TV, as is is a laptop I am sure you have a friend with a recent TV who won't mind you testing out the scart connection.

I read a link somewhere out there about connecting the bottom 2 pins of a SVHS lead together, I tried this and I am afraid that it did not work for me. If you want to give it a go, then here's how:

DANGER: Remove SHVS lead from PC and TV before attempting this

/.........\
    |...KEY...|
    |..o...o..|
    |...o.o...|
    \....n..../

Connect the bottom 2 pins together (the 2 that are furthest from the key)
    I used a single strand of wire about 1.5cm long, and wrapped each end around a pin, making loops until there was just enough space to drop it over the bottom 2 pins, like so:

|.I.....I.|
    |.o_____o.|
    |.I.....I.|
    \---------/

If you do this, ensure that NO part of the wire comes into contact with the shield, or any of the other pins or Bad Things (tm) may occur.

I suggest that while at the stage of wrapping the wire around needles, a dab of solder on each of the loops will hold it together nicely.

As I said earlier, it didn't work for me, but it may work for you.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325967

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice