1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

TV loses VGA signal after 30 seconds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davedown, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davedown

davedown Thread Starter

Hello,
    Ive connected my Laptop to my T.V and initially it all comes through fine during boot up, then at a certain part of the boot up the T.V loses signal and doesnt pick it back up.
    I've tried it on a monitor and it works fine - any one with any thoughts?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi davedown, and welcome to TSG.

Were you using the same video connector on the laptop for both the TV connection and for the monitor and what kind of connector was it?

The most likely problem is that the video output is one format (resolution and refresh rate) during the initial bootup and then switches to a different format when Windows starts up. Your monitor may support both formats, but the TV only supports the first format.

Check your TV specifications to see what video formats it supports, then try setting the external video output of the laptop to the native resolution of the TV.

If you can not resolve the problem, give us the brands and full model numbers of the laptop and TV and we may be able to figure out how to get them working together. Also let us know what operating system is running on the laptop.

3. davedown

davedown Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the info.

The laptop is an ultrasound scanning machine a GE voluson I, but basically a laptop with a probe and is windows based.
    The TV is a Toshiba 40BV702T and its just a normal VGA lead.

Thank you

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Does the laptop screen continue to work properly when you have the TV connected?

If so, can you access the Windows Display Properties control panel? It can be easily accessed if you can right click on an open area of the desktop and selecting "Properties".

The settings tab should have options for setting if an externally connected display mirrors the main screen contents or if it acts as an extension of the laptop desktop. You should be able to experiment with the settings and hopefully find something that will work with the TV. I could not find any detailed specifications for the Toshiba 40BV702T and don't know what video formats it supports. You might want to try some 1080p 50 Hz format.

5. davedown

davedown Thread Starter

I've just re-tried everything, I was wrong when I said that it held signal on a monitor, it does in fact drop out on that too.

Its fine on first boot and then when the screen goes blue for a few seconds it loses signal on both the monitor and also the TV.

I checked the VGA settings and they are described as

VGA red 0.7v ss / 75w
    green 0.7v ss / 75w
    blue 0.7v ss /75w

If that makes any sense

So basically, the vga is activated but the signal drops on boot up

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Is that taken from the TV specs? If so, see if there is a list of supported video resolutions (like 1920x1080 60Hz).

Does the laptop video controller allow you to use the display properties control panel to run any external display as an extension of the desktop or only to duplicate the desktop shown on the built-in screen?

What version of Windows is running on the laptop?

7. Abriam26

Abriam26

My TV only supports 800x600 @59Hz (@60Hz)
    So I think it should work for you as well?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088674

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice