1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

TV over the internet using mifi2200

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jompls, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jompls

jompls Thread Starter

I am using a Verizon Mifi2200 with unlimited data usage (grandfathered in from Alltel) to stream TV shows, movies, etc. on my iMac, either wirelessly or direct connection via USB and through Verizon's VZAccess Manager program. I live in a rural area, with no cable or DSL, but very good cell phone coverage through Verizon.

I had DirectTV, but closed the account due to other factors. My only current option is to stream TV via the internet, primarily using Netflix, Hulu and direct from ABC, CBS, NBC's websites - directly on my iMac, again via wifi.

There is another user in my home that shares the internet connection through the mifi2200 on a PowerMac 5, and our internet connection speeds are slower when we are both connected wirelessly and using wifi. When needed, we tether the mifi2200 to our individual computers using the USB connector, connect via VZAccess Manager, and get much quicker wifi internet speeds.

Ideally, I would prefer to stream TV on an actual (big screen) television set, so I bought a Roku SD and have had marginal success streaming shows wirelessly via wifi through the mifi2200. Ultimately, the wireless wifi connection is too slow, so I plan to return the Roku, and I am looking for other options.

QUESTION: Are there new TVs or related devices/harware (PS3, Wii, Blueray players) that will allow me to directly connect the mifi2200 via USB port, and somehow enter my Verizon user name and password, connecting me to my Verizon wifi service, and giving me the faster connection speeds I experience when I tether the mifi2200 to my iMac? There are two obvious issues that comes to mind: a) do there devices allow for USB internet connections, and b) how would u connect to the service without the VZAccess Manager software? This is why I've come to you. I searched the forum for similar questions, but could not find one. Any assistance is much appreciated!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I haven't read anything that would indicate 'yes" to your questions. But my last TV purchase was two or three years ago.

Depending on what ports your computer and TV have you may be able to connect them and use your computer to stream your TV. I did that this summer (with MLB.com live games) connecting by HDMI. My TV also has a "PC" port so I can connect it as a monitor, but then still have the audio to contend with.

3. jompls

jompls Thread Starter

I appreciate the suggestions. Looks like I am going to need to consider other options.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030960

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice