1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

TV To Computer Sound Question

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Sengoku, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sengoku

Sengoku Thread Starter

Hey guys, just wanna know how to get sound from when your using a computer through your TV, I got the visuals set up now I just need to know what you need to get if you wanna hear sound coming out of your TV instead of your computer speakers. I know there is a certain wire you need to get, just wondering what it is. Thanks alot!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    how connected to the PC via HDMI or VGA cable to a PC input if so then a 3.5mm cable from the PC sound card / headphone output to the PC sound in on the TV

3. Sengoku

Sengoku Thread Starter

I have a VGA cable connected to the TV via my PC. I'm wondering what type of cable you need to get though to transmit the sound to the TV instead of my speakers, what is the cable called??

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  5. Sengoku

Sengoku Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, I was looking up some video tutorials too, it said on some you need an RCA cable, when I looked at the link you gave me it was a different wire, is this the right one cause most videos did say you needed an RCA cable?

Thats the final thing I need to know, thanks!

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yep, RCA are also Audio leads - depends on the TV - most i know use the 3.5mm - whats the make and the exact model of the TV

7. Sengoku

Sengoku Thread Starter

My TV is a Toshiba, unfortunatly I dunno the exact model name of the TV and I am not sure where my manual is haha. But what I do know is on the back of it there are different slots with different colors, I dunno much about the black stereo lead you were telling me about but I do know about the RCA cable and that it has two wires, one red and one white and I do see slots on my TV for those colors. Still though maybe the cable you told me about can go into it too but not sure as I didnt see any black colors. It's hard to say but sure just give me one final oppinion and i'll probably order them both and see what works. Thanks again!

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    look around the VGA connector on the TV - there will be a hole - headphone type socket and labelled audio in or PC audio in - see if that is RCA or a headphone socket type hole

The RCA sockets could be for all sorts of inputs , and maybe controlled via the different inputs possibly called AV1, AV2, AV3 - so the audio will work via RCA on those inputs but thats not the PC input

The Model should be written on the back of the TV on a label

i have picked a random toshiba TV maunal - have a look at page 18 here http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...2SL400U&selCategory=2797337&selFamily=2838042

9. Sengoku

Sengoku Thread Starter

Funny enough after I read what you said there was a black connector part, that could be for the stereo wire you were telling me about, unfortunatly it dont say on the back what the cables are allocated to on the TV.

But I think I will conclude that i'll get both wires, it is cheap anyway, and one of them has got to work either way. I will give it a shot and return back once I find out and let ya know. Thanks alot etaf for your great help. Be back soon to give you an update :]

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    no model number at all written on the back ? - we could find a manual online and then confirm
    usually theres a box aroud the connectors which say AV1 or 2 or 3 ext

your looking for audio IN -

if you have a yellow, red, white together thats likely to be composite video and audio

Audio Out to connect to a hifi system
    probably optical audio

if you have a camera or phone camera maybe take some photos

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice