1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

TV Tuner & this PC - compatible?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by EarsToVanGogh, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EarsToVanGogh

EarsToVanGogh Thread Starter

Hi there.

I was wondering if I could get some input on this. Here's the computer:

Vostro 400, Intel Core Duo 4 E4400 2.00GHz 2MB L2 Cache (WinXP Home)
    128MB NVidia GeForce 8300
    1GB DDR2 Non-Ecc SDRAM

Here's the tv tuner:

Hauppauge WinTV HVR 950

Will I be good-to-go?

Thanks.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

As far as recording goes? I don't think you'd have any problem horsepower-wise. The video card with just 128 megs would be a little suspect for hi-def video editing and on a 1080p equivalent monitor (1920X1080 or above) but just the recording part shouldn't be a problem. I record highest quality Mpeg-2 on a 1.5 ghz Athlon A-socket without losing frames.

3. EarsToVanGogh

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm just recording regular stuff, no hi-def or anything too festive.

Do you have any recommendations as to which media to use?

I appreciate your help. Cheers.

4. stantley

stantley

You should be good to go and I'd stick with Win XP. Problems seem to arise with Media Center Edition and Vista.

When you want to record something on TV just hit record and it will create an .mpg file on your hard drive which can view later. Try a few different compression settings to see what the quality is like. I have mine set to 'DVD Long Play' and the quality is still decent.

Then if you want to burn a DVD you have to use a DVD authoring program to add menus and convert to DVD format. When I got a Hauppauge card it came with Ulead DVD MovieFactory which works fine for what I want to do. Then you can burn the files out of that to a DVD.

5. EarsToVanGogh

I've got the tv tuner installed and it's looking good.

Is there any free DVD authoring software out there?... or something good, yet inexpensive?

Thanks for all of your help so far, folks. This is almost fun. :)

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    kinda defeats the purpose for MCE huh :)

7. stantley

stantley

I've seen Ulead VideoStudio for on sale for $50 every once and a while. You could check here for freeware http://www.videohelp.com/tools?listuser=&orderby=Rating&s=2#2
    Yea, kind of ironic. I've heard a lot of people complain about MCE and it's either 'I have MCE and I can't capture video' or 'I have MCE and a TV card but it says Can't find video capture device'.

It was a good idea by Microsoft, but poorly written software, or maybe they don't consider video as 'media'. :)

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    or at least video from a tuner... :) ok enough highjacking the thread from me :)

9. EarsToVanGogh

I don't mind the hijacking - I might even learn something... if I knew what the heck we were talking about. LOL

Here's a dandy question: Might I have something on this new computer that can create a simple DVD? I see a Roxio Creator DE in the program menu - what can that do? I haven't really dug around.

I'm talking simple - take the file, burn it to the DVD with a simple title. It'd be more like just a DVD with some stuff on it - not a nice looking project with interfaces and features.

Simple-minded user = simple DVD. LOL

10. EarsToVanGogh

Oooooooooooooh. I burned a little file to a DVD with the Roxio thing. Ooooooooooooh. Fun!

But... I don't know what all of the settings, etc. mean. Is there a lay-persons guide to terms?

Menu Aspect Ratio - 4:3 or 16:9

Preset (I understand the HQ, SP, LP, etc.) - 720x480, 704x480, 352x480, 352x240?

Interlaced or Progressive?

Audio - Dolby Digital, AC3, MPEG, LPCM (Bit Rate in kb/s)

I don't really care too much. I'd like to get as much "good" quality stuff onto a disk as possible. I'm just basically replacing my old VCR with this.

You know, I feel fairly competent out in the world, but I feel like an idiot with this stuff.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Ratio is the display. If you are using a widescreen tv to watch the dvd, choose 16:9, otherwise use 4:3

The preset looks like resolution. Probably due to the file itself.

Interlaced.

Audio is what type of audio encoding. I would suggest Dolby.

Wikipedia.com is your friend for explanations on those terms.

12. EarsToVanGogh

Thanks for the advice. I get lost sometimes between the definitions of terms and then knowing which one to choose. All that interlaced crapola and whatnot. LOL

So, here's were we are. I have my new computer - great deal from Dell, but I had to order a monitor from NewEgg because Dell totally screwed up the monitor order and we're going on three weeks of barking back and forth at each other. I got a better monitor and a better price - had enough left over to get a simple set of decent speakers, too. :)

I've got a nice 20" widescreen LCD coming next week. I am really liking my new Vostro computer, but the old monitor is so pathetic that it is almost painful. I have usually inherited computers or had to get the boxed ones with no options, but this time I got my graphics card, etc. I'm happy.

The TV tuner is too cool. I realized that i usually had the TV on next to my computer and didn't really "watch" it all that much - just "listened" while on the computer. Multi-tasking, you know. ;) So, I've got the TV running on the PC and am cruising around the web. I "listen" to the shows the same way that I did when the TV was on... and I got to make more room on my desk by losing the Tv and DVD/VCR! (When my flat panel monitor gets here, I'll have even more room!!!!!)

Since I am spliced off of a splice off of a splice from the cable TV coming into the house, the reception is a wee bit fuzzy at times... but maybe when the new monitor is hooked up with the new computer, it will be better. I'm sure that there are some adjusting things that I haven't dug into yet, too.

Anyway, watching/navigating/recording couldn't be easier. Toggling between TV and computer work is easy and the "always on top" feature is nice. With the Roxio program that came on the new computer, I can burn DVDs easily. I feel like I am finally in the 21st century. I'm a little peeved about the TV tuner not supporting the closed-captioning feature that is so important to me and others in my family. I am currently chatting with the company to express my unhappiness - there is a CC button right on the player... it just doesn't do anything - not even click. This is not important to the vast majority of users, but it is a feature that I need and miss.

Anyway, I wanted to thank you all for your help, comments and kindness. You folks do realize how much some of us appreciate you, right? I'd be lost without the help that I've gotten here.

It's Friday! It's cold and sorta snowy. I'm happy to be dorking around on the 'puter. It is the start to a good weekend. Cheers.

13. dannyn

dannyn

i use nero 7 ultra.. its great, you can use it from it starting to record at a set time, to burning the disk. i really like it

14. EarsToVanGogh

Which kind of blank media should I use so that the DVD is compatible with the most players? I have been using DVD+R, but some people are having trouble viewing all of the content.

(I have been using the Roxio program that came with my computer and have found that even though I have 2 separate 30 minute shows burned, only one is accessible - so I just ordered the Nero Ultra.)

Do you think that I have a blank media problem or a software problem?

I gotta get this stuff burned for good and get it off of my hard drive. It's filling up fast. LOL

Thanks!

15. dannyn

dannyn

try slowing down the burn speed. that could be part of the problem.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice