1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

TV Video

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skynrd, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skynrd

Skynrd Thread Starter

I believe this is more of a software problem, but I need an answer ASAP. THANKS GUYS in advance. Anyway I have a NVidia 8500GT dual output card been working fine, has force TV in NVidia program on because running in dual mode for karaoke. TV has HDMI input that can run on a DVI to HDMI cable.Worked fine for 5 years, still works if I setup for video DVI output as OS screen. Used to see computer booting right from the first DOS screen. Nothing now if setup for dual view as secondary screen in windows properties display screen. Running a DVI splitter have 19" monitor pointing backwards at me, this is working fine. Nvidia control program used to boot and show up in bottom right of taskbar. Not anymore. Tried adding the NVidia program into startup but didn't help. As said the DVI output always showed the DOS booting before windows was even starting and still does on the 19" monitor but nothing but invalid format showing on LED TV.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    What type of DVI "splitter" are you using?

As the nVidia app isn't loading on startup, I'd say you simply have a driver issue. Uninstall the nVidia drivers, reboot, and install the latest drivers.

3. Skynrd

Skynrd Thread Starter

I uninstalled and reloaded drivers. Didn't make a difference. Plugged TV into DVI on video card works every time. Reinserted the splitter 19" monitor and TV worked once, rebooted TV & monitor show all the boot screens, but being setup as secondary as soon as windows gets to log in screen they both go blank and it switches to MY 15" OS monitor as it should. Log into windows account 19" displays again but TV does nothing.

4. Skynrd

Skynrd Thread Starter

Using a aurotek I believe is the correct spelling paid around $130 I know you get what you pay for but it does seem like that is probably the problem, but it has worked for 5yrs. I don't know can the video card get weak over time as to not put out a strong enough signal to drive them both? it's a 4 out splitter which I'll need in future.If you think it is the splitter like I'm assuming now, who makes a good splitter that's not going to cost a fortune?

5. Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Video card works or it doesn't. The signal won't get weak. More likely that the splitter that you have gotten 5 years of use from is failing and/or degrading the signal resulting in your display issue. As the TV works when directly connected, I'd suspect the splitter.

6. Skynrd

Skynrd Thread Starter

I have 2 video cards each with NvidiaGT8500 chipsets should be able to run both under XP right? Would have avoided this problem in the first place I believe How do you set up and manage two PCIE video cards using XP??

PS solved problem kinda THANKS

7. Skynrd

Skynrd Thread Starter

TV displays fine all the way thru boot new splitter. Then I'm still getting invalid format on LCD screen once it gets to windows. HELP!!

8. Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    For testing, eliminate the splitter. If you can get everything working without the splitter, then reconnect the splitter. If the problem then begins again, you have a splitter issue.

As for the LCD, ensure you are using the screens native resolution. As it seems to be a TV, ensure you are using a TV spec resoution (480/720/1080). TV's don't always support resolutions outside of the TV spec.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice