1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tweak Thumbnail View In XP Folders

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lordzule, Jul 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lordzule

lordzule Thread Starter

Hi All,
    Does anyone know if it is possible to adjust the space between the thumbnails of photos while using the thumbnails view in Windows XP folders?

The reason I am asking is that I would like to be able to see more thumbnails at once and XP seems to waste alot of space between the thumbnails unlike this example here instead of what I usually see here . Increasing screen resolution is not an option as it is already suited to what my eyes can handle. :eek:

I know it is possible to change the size of the thumbnails themselves using TweakUI but that is not what I am after. I am assuming that a registry tweak would be necessary but I don't know where to look.
    Thanks.

PS: I need an answer within 5 minutes.
    >joke< :eek:

2. Sponsor

3. Ratboy

Ratboy

lordzule,

The only way I've seen to change the spacing is by going to Control Panel > Display > Appearance > Advanced. In the Item: field, select Icon Spacing (Horizontal or Vertical) and change the size noted to the right.

Note: This will affect all icon spacing and it does not appear to have much effect (if at all) on the horizontal spacing.

4. mike5532g

mike5532g

Another thing you could try is in Windows Explorer click the folders icon on the toolbar, so you see a folder tree on the left. Click an empty space on the right explorer pane and press the F11 key. Windows Explorer should open to a full screen.

Just press F11 again to return to normal view.

5. lordzule

lordzule Thread Starter

F11 is definitely a good thing but I figured that if I could reduce the spacing I could fit another couple columns.

The "Icon Spacing (vertical)" option under "Advanced Appearance" seems to affect desktop icons (after reboot) as well as the thumbnail view in folders. (y) However the "Icon Spacing (horizontal)" option only seems to affect the desktop icons, not the thumbnails. (n). The thumbnails are still the same distance apart even if I set it to zero.

I've done some googling on this but I can't find anyone talking about this. :confused:

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Using TweakUI for XP, under Explorer/Thumbnails, you can modify the number of pixels used to display a thumbnail, as well as their quality (lower quality=faster loading, of course).

7. lordzule

lordzule Thread Starter

Hi Elvandil,
    Thanks for the tip. I know you help alot of people (y) so you might have missed that in my original post I had already mentioned TweakUI but it doesn't help the spacing of the thumbnails (between them, not the size of them). In my original post I also have a couple links to examples of what I am talking about. ;)

If anyone else out there has any suggestions of where I might be able to find this info I'm all ears. Maybe a professional photography forum? Thankx.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're right. I did miss that reference. I assumed that using fewer pixels might move the thumbs closer together, but guess not. If I come across a tweak, I'll remember you.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!