1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tweaking HDD and CD-R/RW cache

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vynce, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vynce

vynce Thread Starter

Gosh this is a great board! Okay, one problem down; so here's number 2: How can one accesss the settings for cache memory allocated to various disk drives? My CDRW performance has slowed considerably since migrating to W2K.:confused:

2. Rockn

Rockn

The cache on a CD-RW is set in the hardware and you can't change it. For the hard drive it should be the pagefile setting. Go to Windoze help and it will tell you exactly where to look to change the setting

3. vynce

vynce Thread Starter

:eek: :rolleyes: :confused: What? There has to be a way to set CDRW cache in W2K, every WinDOS version had it. You know, I think default was 256KB and I changed it to 4096KB; had much better performance on CD burns after that. Are you positively sure? I would think an experienced reg hack would know a trick...

Still, I appreciate your input.

4. Rockn

Rockn

They never had it for CD-ROM, it was the read ahead cache setting you are thinking about and by default they are always set to max. Most CD-RW's have internal memory for caching and are far more efficient than caching out to a hard drive. If you are having performance problems put the CDR on a controller that is seperate from your hard drives.

5. vynce

vynce Thread Starter

Rockn: Gosh, you are a wizzard. I think you may be on to something here. I had just done that very thing to my older, slower machine which I use as a test vehicle for all major changes to my main machine. And it worked perfectly. I am going to carry it over and will post results. Thanks a Mil!:rolleyes: :cool: :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice