1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tweaking MTU and other Internet Settings

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AtreideS, Dec 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AtreideS

AtreideS Thread Starter

Hello,
    You may have read a week ago my on going trouble with the "net send packet error: no error" message in any game that i play online. Unfortunately I still haven't fixed the problem. I am wondering if changing my MTU or any other settings might help. I have a program called System Mechanic which lets me edit the MTU and a few other settings. Can someone give me a quick run down on what everything does so I don't go making my connection slower or stop working. I'm using WinXP so I have my favourtie XP thingy System Restore, if I make any major screw ups. Please help. Thanks

2. ioniser

ioniser

hey,

Set the packet size to 1500...

Do you get the same error when browsing generally or is it specific to your online game...

Also get the latest drivers for your modem, or NIC if you're online via cable etc...

Ionz.

3. AtreideS

AtreideS Thread Starter

The error never occurs when I am browsing. I'm using IE6 and a 56k modem. I have a feeling I fixed the problem by disabling hardware flow control
    modem error control
    modem compression control
    However, this now causes webpages to load about twice as slow. However my ping in Counterstrike has dropped.
    Is there someway I could get a balance between loading pages fast and not having the error occur? I'm thinking about setting up a second connection to the internet. One that is for browsing (with the above settings on), and one for games (with the settings off).

4. dopefish

dopefish

try leaving modem compression enabled
    its used to compress data coming through your modem so you download web pages and such faster

5. AtreideS

AtreideS Thread Starter

I can't seem to be able to have modem compression enabled and the other 2 settings disabled. Is there someway I can get around this. WinXP won't let me just select modem compression, to have modem compression enabled it needs the other two on at the same time. And having them on disables my ability to play games online!

6. dopefish

dopefish

have u disabled the winxp firewall???? if not thats probably whats stopping you playing games online

you can disable the firewall by going

start->settings->control panel->administrative settings->services

then scroll down that to

Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) / Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

and double click it then change it from automatic to manual or disabled

7. AtreideS

AtreideS Thread Starter

I definately have the WinXP firewall turned off. Thanks for the suggestion though.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!