1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

TweakUI and Kernel32.dll

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by raybro, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Trying to install TweakUI in Win XP and get the following message.

"The procedure entry point GetDirectoryW could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNE32.dll."

Downloaded a new TweakUI.exe file from Windows PowerToys site thinking perhaps the file I had on CD was corrupted, but no joy.

KERNEL32.dll is, in fact, present in the system 32 folder. So I don't know what the problem is. I suspect the existing file may be corrupted. Any thoughts on downloading a new KERNEL32.dll file and replacing the existing one? If so, anyone have a link to do so?

Any other thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

BTW... I just finished a format and clean install of XP on this system.

Raybro

2. guidzilla

guidzilla

Most of what I'm finding has to do with systems not having sp1/sp2 installed. Are those on the system or have you done those updates yet since yer fresh install?

3. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Just getting to that. Got the initial Win updates and now working on the SP1 & SP2 downloads. Dial-up sure is a pain. Thanks for the input. You have probably nailed it. I'll let you know.

Raybro

4. guidzilla

guidzilla

No prob, good luck.

5. wilson44512

wilson44512

since you have dialup it might be better if ya order the sp2 cd from microsoft. they sent me one for free. an it will save you time in the future

6. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion wilson44512. I'll probably do just that. This is a job I'm doing on a friends computer, so it should be a one time thing for me, but he may want to get the SP2 CD. Then again, I don't anticipate needing to do this again because I'm going to do a Ghost image of his HD on DVD when this is all finished. Of course, one must always remember that "The best laid plans"..... etc.

Thanks to all for the input.. Raybro

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/455012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice