1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

tweakui

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by petey, Aug 20, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. petey

petey Thread Starter

I have tried to download and install tweakui on my computer. Each time I try it says to insert the disc.....dont have one...what should I do next.....just a puter dummy....thanks for any help you can give.......pete

2. Whypick1

Whypick1

Point it to where the TweakUI files are.

------------------
    Just remember, i could be wrong.

3. jmatt

jmatt

I'm using the new 2000 version & it asked me the same question , I think from memory I just ignored it .Below is a site you need to read .

All the problems with TweakUi explained at this site , http://members.aol.com/axcel216/newtip98.htm
    Under the heading ,
    BUGGY TWEAKUI98 [UPDATED 8-17-00]

4. petey

petey Thread Starter

thanks folks, but to be on the safe side, I think I will use startup cop...seems to be fairly foolproof.....appreciate your help...pete

5. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Just to clear up some misconceptions, Tweakui and StartupCop have nothing in common. Both perform absolutley different functions so I don't understand how you could use StartupCop instead of Tweakui.

As far as bugs, don't be scared away from Tweakui because of some AOL webpage article. Trust me, Tweakui works just fine. I only know of one bug after using it since it was introduced many years ago. Just stay away from the MyComputer tab in Tweakui and you'll be fine.

As far as the message during Tweakui install, as Whypick1 said, just click on the Browse button. Then point the install to the folder you downloaded Tweak into and click on OK.

[This message has been edited by bhesson (edited 08-21-2000).]

6. petey

petey Thread Starter

Basically, all I was wanting to do was speed up my start up. Dont really feel comfortable working with the system registry.
    Startup cop lets me do that. When I get more into this, then I may ask your help again....
    thanks guys for all the help, and remember I'm not too smart on this newfangled gadget here....pete

7. petey

petey Thread Starter

hey again....found tweakui on my windows 98 disc....tools\reskit\powertoy thanks again....was easy to setup this time ...went straight to the control panel

8. bd

bd

Hi petey,
    W98 knew tweakui was on the disc and you did not have to install it from a download so that is why it asked you to insert the disc.
    Sometimes w98 knows what it is doing [​IMG] Bob

Btw: Msconfig [in w98] will help you control startup programs .
    It is a very good practice to only start the minimum you need and then select others as you need them and close them when you are thru with them. This will conserve the limited Windows Resources [gdi and user] in W9x OS.

9. petey

petey Thread Starter

thanks bob....sure glad there are people like all you guys on here to help us computer illiterates.....thanks again everybody.......one more thing..is it my isp, my connection (45,333) or ie 5.5,that is running slow. sometimes pages take forever to load...I have a 400 celeron, 64m ram, 12 gig hard drive. if its 5.5, how do I uninstall and get my old 5.0, or 5.1 whichever...thanks

10. bd

bd

Hi Pete,
    If you connect and get pages quickly some times then the problem is probably not with your system.
    The server on the other end or the routing in between is usually the factor in occasional slowness on various sites and certainly so if certain sites are always slow to load.
    Traffic is always a factor even on good routing and fast servers.
    If all sites were slow to load all the time there would likely be a problem on your end.

It is amazing that the system works so well most of the time if you think about what is involved in the things we take for granted. [​IMG] Bob

[This message has been edited by bd (edited 08-23-2000).]

11. petey

petey Thread Starter

thanks Bob, I went ahead and uninstalled 5.5,went back to 5.0....seems a little better, but now my outlook 5 has turned into 4.2.....guess you have to sacrifice something to get others.....anyway thanks

pete:)-

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/33547

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice