Twin monitor problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bxcfilm

Brian
I am using Win 10 x64. I just got a new monitor and set it up next to the old one, and this is my first time using mutli-screens.. The old monitor dates from 2004, but it's doing fine. I have set the new monitor up as the "main" one.

The weird part right now is that, if I right click Start and select for example Settings, the app opens in the old screen, but not the new one. However, the appropriate icon does appear in the taskbar of the new screen, Other apps are behaving properly.

Is there a separate setting I have to adjust?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18362, Installed 20190810170607.000000+060
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J3060 @ 1.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 76 Stepping 4, CPU Count: 2
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 149 GB (71 GB Free); D: 780 GB (646 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A_F_K20CE, ver Rev 1.xx, s/n 110610198200044
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n GBPDCG0002ZH
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

The weird part right now is that, if I right click Start and select for example Settings, the app opens in the old screen, but not the new one. However, the appropriate icon does appear in the taskbar of the new screen, Other apps are behaving properly.
This sometimes has to do with the port type and how the GPU prioritizes the ports. Check with your GPU manual. But you don't say what cables are you using.

Couriant

James
Sometimes Windows remembers where the screen was located before. If you move the settings box over to the new monitor, then close it, give it a few minutes and open up settings again. it should be on the new monitor.

bxcfilm

Brian
This sometimes has to do with the port type and how the GPU prioritizes the ports. Check with your GPU manual. But you don't say what cables are you using.
I am using an HDMI cable with the new monitor, and an old-style cable (can't remember the name) for the old one.

I don't (knowingly) have a manual for the GPU.

bxcfilm

Brian
Sometimes Windows remembers where the screen was located before. If you move the settings box over to the new monitor, then close it, give it a few minutes and open up settings again. it should be on the new monitor.
Many thanks, that fixed it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online