1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Twitter(?) says "Someone tried to log in..." Is this legit?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bj nick, Dec 5, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

So a couple of times now I've gotten the email: "We noticed an attempt to log in to your account @myaddress that seems suspicious. Was this you?" I don't trust it because it asks me to change my password. fwiw: I don't have any current Twitter presence....just used it once a year for a school field trip. I wouldn't care if someone got in, except that there are still a couple of old school accounts in existence from years past that I will be trying to delete shortly.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is it legit? If the mail was from Twitter it is probably legit. If the mail included a link for a password change do not use it. Login to Twitter by going to their URL.

EDIT: If it were me I would not bother changing the password since the attempt to login was apparently unsuccessful.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Probably a scam. I've received emails from "Amazon" <cough, cough> about problems.
    The idiots don't realize a) I haven't ordered from Amazon in a while and b) this is not the email address on file for my Amazon purchases.

It is peak shopping season so hackers are out in full force trying to separate you from your money.

Delete the email or report it as a scam. Close the browser. (My browser cleans up after I close it). Then open a new browser session, go to the site in question and change your password if you aren't sure.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I get the same thing for Steam or some online game service that I don't use. The easiest way to check is 1) if you have an account with them and 2) hover your mouse over the link to 'reset'... if the link is some garbage and not an official one then it would be spam/phishing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!