1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

two better than one

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mazelda, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mazelda

mazelda Thread Starter

I'm half thinking about a new system weather I build it my self or buy I haven't decided yet
    the main problem i have is the graphic card do i go with a single nvidea 1535mb gtx580 which appears to be the top card on the market or do I go with 2 ati hd6870 cards linked together which individually are about 13th on the passmark video card tests I have no idea what they're like linked in crossfire config
    cheers. if it helps i'm thinking of a 2600 i7 proccessor 8gb ram

oops can someone put this in the corect forum just read this for non computer relared stuff

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well according to this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3067-6.html
    Two Radeon HD 6950's are faster than a single Geforce GTX580. So two Radeon HD 6870's would be even faster. The question is do you really need that kind of performance? What resolutions are you going to be gaming at?

FYI, the fastest single cards are the Radeon HD 6990 and Geforce GTX 590 but both are dual GPU.

3. mazelda

mazelda Thread Starter

res would prob be 1920x 1080 as that is all the monitor would take i think but i would like to run software at max settings if i can mostly i play wow,flightsim x and the elder scrolls stuff

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I made a mistake in the above post, the Radeon HD 6950 is faster then the Radeon HD 6870.

At that resolution and for those games I think a single Radeon HD 6950 is all you'd need. Multi-card setups are generally for those you rum multi-monitor setups at extremely high resolutions. A single card setup is generally plenty for the average gamer running at 1920x1080. I find my Radeon HD 6850 can handle COD:MW3, BF3, Crysis 2, and FarCry 2 at their highest settings at either 1920x1080 or the 1360x768 that I usually run on my TV without problem and that's with a lesser video card, and older Core 2 Quad based system.

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I run Skyrim on a GTX460 at 1920x1080 with pretty much maxed out graphics with a few tweaks and small reductions here and there.

A single card is absolutely plenty for your needs based on what you have said. Also, unless you are SLI/Crossfiring top end cards its probably better to get a single card. That way, if/when the system starts to slow you can boost it with another of those cards (which would be alot cheaper by that point). Buying lower cards and SLI/Crossfiring means you are stuck with that performance level unless you pay out alot of money again to get two new cards.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice