1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two boots for proper (1920 x 1200) resolution

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tjesh, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjesh

tjesh Thread Starter

When cold booting, I come up in 800 x 600 resolution, although my software is set for 1920 x 1200. On resetting, it produces the full resolution it should have produced the first time. What is the most likely cause? Weak PS?

This is an Asus P5B-E board, E6750 oc to 3.2 gigs, 2 gb Corsair 6400 volted to 2.1 in BIOS, a single 8800 GTX card and an X-Fi Extremegamer sound card. Monitor is a 24" Gateway. The PS is either an Enermax or Antec rated at least at 500 watts. Also, the unit is watercooled, and so also powers an external eHeim 12v pump with 2-120mm fans (these off seven volts). There are also a pair of 120 mm and a single 250 mm case fans. I can run prime95 for several hours on end without error. tia

2. tjesh

tjesh Thread Starter

It turns out I indeed seem to have had an insufficient power supply. I replaced an Antec 650 Watts Trio with a brand new Corsair TX 750 Watts, single-rail power supply. The final verdict may take weeks, but the first half-dozen boots from cold has seen the computer start up as it should. It goes directly into 1920x1200 resolution.

The Antec was otherwise working, so I can only assume that the extra 100 watts (plus it being over a single, super power, 60 Amp rail) made the diff. I never allowed that the pump and fans required for water cooling require more power than you would think. The upside is that my E6750 overclocked to 3.2 GB still won't go over 46C when exercised with prime95 over several hours.

Hope my experience helps someone else. tj

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/762604

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice