1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two brands of ram conflicting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FlashGordon, Dec 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Thread Starter

I have two 512 sticks of sdr. One is Spectek and the other is not(dont know). I just had my comp redone with new case, CPU(Athlon XP 2400), XP Home, AK73 PRO (A) mb.

After about 10 minutes of gaming it will shut off and say "You may have a problem with your memory". So I tried with just one stick and it only worked with the Spectek. My computer guy says it needs to be the same brand. because the new CPUs are bitchy about that.

Does this sound right? If so Where is a good place to buy Spectek 512mb srdram?

2. FlashGordon

Also, I have a Radeon 9700 Pro.

3. FlashGordon

4. Hootnholler

Hootnholler

Well, the guy is somewhat right...

The new cpu's are very finicky on ram, but that's usually the new extreme edition p4 and the 64 bit AMD's. They usually require 'registered' ram to run in pairs, for hyperthreading purposes...

I'm guessing that the 'no name' brand is just a bad stick. If you wish, go to http://www.memtest86.com and try the program they have on there. It will verify your assumptions.

Chances are, it's a latency problem between the two sticks. If you want to stick to soltek, try http://www.pricewatch.com, and see who sells 'em. Just watch for restocking fees and having to order in bulk...

Hoot

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    IF it only worked with the spacetek ram then the no name stick is probably bad.

6. ratchet

ratchet

Hey Flash,

Try running AIDA32 with both sticks in. Look under Motherboard then SPD to compare the to.

For future reference;
    Curcial.com

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/188795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice