1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two broken computers = 1 good one! Questions:

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Euclid34, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Euclid34

Euclid34 Thread Starter

I have a Dell 4600C that broke sometime ago... heat sink fell off mobo, common problem with this model. After months of patience, I have managed to get a cheap 4600C with a functional motherboard but is missing componants:

I am going to take the HD, power supply, and RAM from the new old cpu and put it in the one I bought with the functional mobo. I was wondering, before I do the swaps, what will need to be tweaked and what steps I should take it switching over.

Any advice appreciated :)

2. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

I have a feeling you may get problems getting the Dell XP OS to work straight away.

3. Striker840

Striker840

Since it is the same motherboard it SHOULD work but you may have issues with the operating system. I would say 75% work 25% not work. Its worth a shot.

4. Euclid34

Euclid34 Thread Starter

If I get a new HD and install a fresh copy of WinXP would that take care of the problem?

5. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

Just format the current one if you like.

6. Euclid34

Euclid34 Thread Starter

only problem is there are files i need to retrieve off the old disk before, otherwise that would be exactly what i would do!

Hopefully it will boot up ok with the old HD and i wont have any problems... now that i think of it, i dont know if the 4600c is capable of running 2 HDs, ill have to look into it. not a lot of space in that case!

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

If the board is EXACTLY the same as the old board, there is no reason it should not run with the old drive.

8. Euclid34

Euclid34 Thread Starter

So I am jsut plugging componants in, booting up, and seeing what happens? Nothing to do with the BIOS, etc.?

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

You shouldn't have to go into BIOS. BIOS should find the difference in drives or other components from the machine from which it was removed and configure them automatically.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!