Two broken computers = 1 good one! Questions:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Euclid34

I have a Dell 4600C that broke sometime ago... heat sink fell off mobo, common problem with this model. After months of patience, I have managed to get a cheap 4600C with a functional motherboard but is missing componants:

I am going to take the HD, power supply, and RAM from the new old cpu and put it in the one I bought with the functional mobo. I was wondering, before I do the swaps, what will need to be tweaked and what steps I should take it switching over.

Any advice appreciated :)

Since it is the same motherboard it SHOULD work but you may have issues with the operating system. I would say 75% work 25% not work. Its worth a shot.

Euclid34

If I get a new HD and install a fresh copy of WinXP would that take care of the problem?

Euclid34

usualsuspect said:
Just format the current one if you like.
only problem is there are files i need to retrieve off the old disk before, otherwise that would be exactly what i would do!

Hopefully it will boot up ok with the old HD and i wont have any problems... now that i think of it, i dont know if the 4600c is capable of running 2 HDs, ill have to look into it. not a lot of space in that case!

If the board is EXACTLY the same as the old board, there is no reason it should not run with the old drive.

Euclid34

win2kpro said:
If the board is EXACTLY the same as the old board, there is no reason it should not run with the old drive.
So I am jsut plugging componants in, booting up, and seeing what happens? Nothing to do with the BIOS, etc.?

You shouldn't have to go into BIOS. BIOS should find the difference in drives or other components from the machine from which it was removed and configure them automatically.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online