1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two compaqs crapped out both HDs are bad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rmay635703, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rmay635703

rmay635703 Thread Starter

My two compaqs (my one I use for backup) and my parents unit Both have had their hard drives die within a few weeks of each other. Anyway the warranty from compaq is over but the drives are

Quantum Fireball lct
    30.0AT LB30A891 Rev 01 - a A0309
    SN 17600581248#

I have on simple question,
    are these under warranty from Quantum/Maxtor?

Can I get them replaced under warranty? I believe they are under 3yrs old.

Thanx
    Ryan

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Only way to tell about the warranty is to go to the drive's website and follow their directions. There is a download to install a diganostic tool onto a boot floppy and start the computer to DOS, run the diagnostic, it gives you a fail code that you need to type into the online form to return the drive, if it is under warranty. The site has directions to find out about the warranty, usually you need a lot of info off the label of the drive, not just serial numbers, but some other coding numbers, too. You cannot go by just the date of manufacture, as some companies use the date you got the system or date of installation rather than the other date. It depends also on whether you bought the drive yourself or it came installed in an OEM system...though Maxtor is extremely forgiving about this aspect. I think they took over Quantum drive support. What you need if any are under warranty is an RMA number to write on your package. They have 2 ways to get a replacement, refurbished and tested drive,,,not brand new....you can get a replacement and have 30 days to send your old one to them, or send your old one ahead and they ship you another.

3. rmay635703

rmay635703 Thread Starter

I was asking because Maxtors "Warranty check" page crashes out every time I try to check the warranty status or says that the number is either incomplete or unknown.

This drive doesn't have the so called GTLA number only a part number.

As for the fail code, I don't believe there is any both drives aren't detected at all, its like their not even installed.

Thanx for any info
    Ryan

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, The fail code I am referring to is provided only by the program from the hard drive manufacturer, which you install onto a bootdisk and run in drive A: at bootup....it tests the hard drive extensively, takes quite a while....and if drive is found bad, gives you a code you need to type into an online RMA form....that is, if the drive IS under warranty, or the testing will be useless except to tell you if it really is bad....
    The system failure message is a different thing, but they do tell the truth, as does that clicking noise at startup....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice