1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two computers can connect to my network... one can't!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by boatyben, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boatyben

boatyben Thread Starter

Hi There,

I have a Belkin router in my home which two PCs wirelessly connect to with no problems. I also connect my laptop to the wireless network when I bring it back from university.

However, this time when I try to connect a problem occurs. I go to look at the list of wireless networks, connect to my one, and a message appears telling me I'm connected. But then when I try to access the internet nothing happens (ie an "unable to connect" screen appears).

Troubleshooting steps I've taken so far:
    1) Reset the router and turned off all security. Again, the laptop said it was connected then my browser failed to connect to the internet.
    2) Turned off my laptop firewall
    3) Tried different browsers on my laptop
    4) Typed 192.168.2.1 to access the router itself; but it fails to bring up the router menu (when I do this on the PCs I can bring up a router menu).
    5) Tried attaching the laptop to the router with a network cable.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Ben

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please try to connect both ethernet and wireless and show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. boatyben

boatyben Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply.

The command prompt appears then immediately disappears when I type ipconfig /all so I can't see what the text says. Is there any way to stop that?

4. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Yes. You read the entire message from TerryNet and follow the instructions BEFORE the ipconfig /all

5. boatyben

boatyben Thread Starter

Apologies! Here is the text:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Pegasus650
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Networ
    k Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-F0-EE-F4-EC
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There is no evidence of an ethernet adapter. Does it show in Device Manager as OK? If so, does the ethernet connection show in Network Connections? Enabled?

You have an invalid manually assigned IP configuration on your wireless, In Network Connections right click on your wireless connection - Properties - Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - Properties - select 'obtain IP auto' and 'obtain DNS auto.' "OK" your way out of Network Connections.

Then try again to connect both ways and show another ipconfig /all

7. boatyben

boatyben Thread Starter

Dear TerryNet,

Selecting 'obtain IP auto' and 'obtain DNS auto' has solved the problem: thank you!

Would you be able to quickly explain why this fixed the problem so I understand if it happens in the future?

Warm Regards

Ben

8. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

Obtaining both the Ip and dns auto is quite usefull. Most routers will come with a dhcp server built in, which stands for Dynamic Host Configeration Protocol and it will assign every client a ip address auto so that you do not have to configure clients ip yourself. In your case you may have assigned an manual ip to the client that was already being used by the dhcp server for another client meaning the internet would not work. A dns is a domain name server and will convert website names into ip address for you, which is vital for browsing the internet. When set to auto the client will ask the router for a dns server address and chances are the router will be set to get one automatically from your isp so you do not have to go through the hassle of assigning one manually.

Hope that helps and if you have any questions just ask

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    After reading the above explanation take a look at the ipconfig /all. If you do ever need to assign a manual IP configuration you have to essentially mimic what your router gave you--an IP in the right subnet but not used by another device, a Gateway equal to the router's address, and DNS server equal to the router's addr. or a real DNS server.

You can mark this 'Solved' using the button at the top left of your first post.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/734750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice