1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two computers on network but only one works

Discussion in 'Networking' started by FridayFrenzy, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FridayFrenzy

FridayFrenzy Thread Starter

OK here is the scenario....

We have a laptop and a desktop in our household, both running Windows XP.

I have a NETGEAR MR814v2 router that both cables are plugged into and then the router is plugged into the High-Speed Cable Modem. We are not using wireless network at all.

We have called our ISP and they have confirmed that the line is working at 100%, so it is not the modem or the connection.

When we plug both computers into the router, the internet DOES NOT WORK.
    When we plug just the DESKTOP into the router, the internet WORKS.
    When we plug just the LAPTOP into the router, the internet DOES NOT WORK.

I have downloaded the most recent firmware onto the router, but that does not seem to help. I have also unchecked the box in Internet Firewall in the Networking Connections in Control Panel for both computers and still nothing.

Are there any options on the router or on any of the computers that would help alleviate this problem?

To me, it seems that the LAPTOP is causing the problems, do you think this is the case?

Any Help woudl be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you tried plugging the laptop directly into the broadband modem? My guess is it won't work there either. Note that you must power cycle the cable modem when you change the connected device.

With the laptop plugged into the router please do:
    Open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272511

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice