Two Computers On One Network Issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Johnjones4720

Hello! This is my first post on a tech website so hopefully, there's someone savvy enough to help me with my issue. For the last 5 years, I have owned and played a PC with relatively few problems. My brother also has a PC on the same internet network. We have never been able to really play games together without the games either kicking us out of one another's games or the lag making the game unplayable. We've tried using LAN which has only worked on some games and then it hasn't helped all that much. We used to have an ethernet cable plugged into one computer and then into the router which made no impact on playing together but did improve internet speed for the connected computer. We tried applications like Hamachi to maybe help but nothing inevitably would allow us to play a game properly. I have never had issues connecting to online games unless it's with my brother. And the router has been replaced at least 2-3 times over the past few years. I assumed that maybe there was an IP conflict but then most modern routers resolve that automatically. I'm hoping for a fix to this issue as it's really dampened the full gaming experience and it's just been never-ending.
Both PCs are using Windows 10 and were formerly both on Windows 7.
Many thanks, John Jones!

cwwozniak

Chuck
Hi, John, and welcome to TSG.

I assumed that maybe there was an IP conflict but then most modern routers resolve that automatically.
When you and your brother are both connected you do have separate IP addresses on your home network. If you have a typical residential Internet service you are very likely sharing the same public IP address and your router assigns different port numbers for each computer on that one address. You would need to check the game hosting site's rules if they do not allow two users at the same time with the same public IP address.

Johnjones4720

Hi, John, and welcome to TSG.

When you and your brother are both connected you do have separate IP addresses on your home network. If you have a typical residential Internet service you are very likely sharing the same public IP address and your router assigns different port numbers for each computer on that one address. You would need to check the game hosting site's rules if they do not allow two users at the same time with the same public IP address.
Thank you for your response Chuck, I can't seem to find a great deal of info regarding the games hosting rules. But it does seem to be an issue that happens to people in the multiplayer aspect of the game especially when connecting two computers from the same IP. Even if there is an issue with this game in particular, I'd be curious as to know whether there are workarounds and what would be the cause for this to happen in every game we have played together? Bearing in mind that there are 15 different games this has occurred on and used to happen when we were on Xbox years ago also. I know one would instantly assume router then but given that it has been replaced numerous times and still presents problems....

cwwozniak

Chuck
Have you done any kinds of speed tests for both download and upload speeds?

What kind of ping times do you get, with just you playing a game and both of you playing the same game?

Is anybody else active on your LAN while you are gaming?

Johnjones4720

Have you done any kinds of speed tests for both download and upload speeds?

What kind of ping times do you get, with just you playing a game and both of you playing the same game?

Is anybody else active on your LAN while you are gaming?
First Test - Ping 47 Downloads Mbps 0.15 Upload 0.18Mbps
Second Test - Ping 38 Download 0.79 Upload 0.43
I ran these tests while one computer was playing the game.
Normally the internet does better on the test but today it's particularly bad and slow. I should mention that my ISP is Sky .. Is sky generally bad for wifi?

No one else is on the LAN when we play. In fact, I don't believe anyone besides us ever uses it. I've ordered two cat 5e ethernet cables in the hopes that may help in some capacity.

Thank you for responding to me Chuck, really trying to get this sorted after 5 years of it. Super appreciative!

cwwozniak

Chuck
I'm no gamer, but those speeds look awfully slow. Was the test done with a wired or a WiFi connection. If WiFi, what are they like using an Ethernet connection. What are they like without any games running on any computer?

EDIT: What are the maximum download and upload speeds that come with your particular Sky service plan?

Last edited:

Couriant

James
Those are really low for anything. Note, if one or the other is low, it would slow everything down.

to add to Chuck's question, do you have any other devices that could be potentially using the internet, like another computer using peer to peer software, or someone using video services?

James

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online