1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

two computers, one portable hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rocky.collins, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rocky.collins

rocky.collins Thread Starter

I used Acronis True Image to clone the C: drive on my office desktop to a portable USB hard drive. Then I took it home and plugged it into my laptop. The laptop recognized the hard drive immediately and seemed to be able to popen all of my folders, EXCEPT my main Documents Folder appeared as empty. I took the drive back to my office and the Documents Folder is definitely NOT empty.

I think this has to do with "sharing" the folder, but all the advice I get refers to networks rather than just taking a physical hard drive from one computer to another.

What do I do to make the Documents Folder available and editable on both computers?

FYI, I used to have just a few key folders backed up on this portable hard drive (using synctoy) and I could access them perfectly from both computers. I did the full drive clone as an extra bit of safety.

thanks

2. mattyc

mattyc

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

You need to take ownership of the files.
    The main trick is in XP Pro, you must disable Simple File sharing.
    In XP Home you must boot up in safe mode.

3. rocky.collins

rocky.collins Thread Starter

Thanks, mattyc. I'll try that tonight.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/622100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice