Two Computers with Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LittleBoy

Hello, I read about this site in PC World Magazine. It looks awesome and I plan in becoming a regular, if no one minds. Now to my question:

Every time I have problems with my own computer, I fix it. So my mom thinks that I know a lot about computers, which I don’t, but she’s told friends I do. So now I’ve been brought two computers to fix, and I really don’t know how. Maybe some of you can help.

Computer #1.

It’s an 8 year old computer; my mom’s friend’s daughter opened it up and replaced the disk-drive. After doing this, the computer starts up but no display is visible on any monitor. I’ve switched the cables from the old and the new disk drive and nothing changes. I don’t know what to to, the computer turns on but I can’t see if it loads up. The connector does work because when it not plugged, the monitors says there is no signal, when I connect it, the no signal display disappears. So I discount that as a possible reason as to why the screen just appears black.

Could it be the hard drive?

Computer #2

It’s a Compaq laptop. The woman’s daughter, in her attempt to uninstall AOL from the computer, uninstalled everything except AOL. Microsoft Works doesn’t work, as many other programs initially installed on the computer by the manufacturer. It also doesn’t read CD’s or DVDs’. It’s a Toshiba drive, and the Toshiba driver is installed, but it says that it cannot find/locate the hardware for it.

Can she replace the cd/dvd drive? Would that help?

They don’t have any of the recovery disks. What can I do?

Thanks to all who read this, thanks to all who reply

Little Boy: On Computer 1: If I read you right, you have both the new and the old dirve in the machine. Is that so? If it is, do you know about Master-Slave set ups? Or Cable Select? If you don't have both drives in the machine, Did she install an operating system on the new drive? We need more information.

On Computer 2: It seems to me that you need to reinstall your Operating System. Call or contact Compaq to see if you can buy a new Recovery disk.

I think it's great that you are trying to help your mom's friends.

never get aol. their software is filled with ads and when you unistall it, it always causes a prblem with windows.

LittleBoy

Thanks for the replys. I know I can order the recovery disk for the compaq computer, they're chargin me $48 for it. Since the compaq doesn't read disks? What options do I have? Can I run the disk from my computer to the laptop via a USB cable?

Little Boy
What disk drive are you talking about?
Hard disk drive?
Cdrom disk drive?
Floppy disk drive?

LittleBoy

It doesn't read the CD/DVD drive. It's a Toshiba drive, and when I go into the device manager, there are yellow questions marks by the name.

Littleboy: Try this: Go to Device Manager and click the + sign beside CD DVD Drives. Right click on your CD/DVD drive, choose uninstall. Then reboot your computer. Windows will find the drive and reinstall it for you. If you still have the Yellow triangle beside it, you need to install the latest driver.
Sounds scarry, don't it? Not to worry.

Hint: A quick way to get to System properties and then your device manager is to press the Windows key and hold it while you press the Pause/break key, release them both and there it is.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online