1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two copies of XP installed?!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by El_Glyndo, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. El_Glyndo

El_Glyndo Thread Starter

Hi all,

I had some trouble a few days ago with my computer, which I managed to fix with help from this site (http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/642191-windows-unable-load-corrupted-file.html)

What happened since then is that the structure of my HD before the system restore has been saved as a folder in c:\. As a result, I have a copy of Windows in there!

I've attached screenshots of the structures - 'c' is my c:\ drive now, and 'c mods' is the sub folder within which my old HD structure is saved.

What I want to know is whether it is safe for me to delete anything from the "My Old Disk Structure" sub-folder? I'm thinking it's safe to do so as there is a copy of windows on the c:\ drive and that is where Windows loads from, but I want to check!

Attached Files:

• c.JPG
      c.JPG
      File size:
      22.7 KB
      Views:
    • c mods.JPG
      c mods.JPG
      File size:
      41.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Yes, as long as you 'know' which is your system and which is your 'old stuff', you can delete the 'old stuff' with no problems.

3. El_Glyndo

El_Glyndo Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. Although it doesn't matter now; I installed Half Life 2 - Episode 2 and it froze my computer. Restarted it and it couldn't load windows. Kept bringing up "MBR Error" whatever that is. Had to re-format the HD so I've lost everything.

Which brings me on to my next question... Can I recover the information that was on there for free? I've read about how police have been able to do it in cases but obviously that doesn't mean it's available to the public!

4. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Actually no. MBR errors can be fixed WITHOUT formatting. Matter of a fact did you know that FORMATTING does not FORMAT the MBR, it just replaces it.

A 'FIXMBR' would probably have done the trick.

Now to your question...can you recover data for free? Simple answer. No.

Data recovery is expensive and for good reason. Most outfits will do the actual analysis for free, but then charge you for actual recovery. This is so if the ONE FILE you need you can't get, you don't have to pay for recovery if you can't get what you need from the service.

You can also buy software to do this, again cheap programs will not necessarily be better or worse than expensive programs but good tools are not cheap.

If you DO wish to attempt recovery DO NOT modify the hard disk anymore. Even booting could lose more data.

Good luck!

5. El_Glyndo

El_Glyndo Thread Starter

So how do I fix the MBR? I've ran into more trouble and I've been forced to reformat again so recovery is completely forgotten about! Do I write FIXMBR at the command prompt?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!