1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two Default Gateways

Discussion in 'Networking' started by KookeyManjo, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KookeyManjo

KookeyManjo Thread Starter

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition, and although I have a NIC installed it is not connected and has been disabled using Task Manager.

My problem is that sometimes after dialing into my ISP I connect O.K. but can't go anywhere --- no mail, no Internet, no ping by IP address or URL. All settings for DUN, TCP/IP, etc. have been verified as correct. Whenever this happens running 'route print' and 'ipconfig' shows two default routes (0.0.0.0) but there should be only one. Rebooting is the only way to set things straight.

Does anyone know what causes this and how I can prevent it?

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Try to update your DUN... I had the problem you do til I did... although I never checked the gateway #'s....
    But the update fixed it. Only way I found an update was on the catchup program on cnet.com

Also contact your isp... they may have changed DNS

3. KookeyManjo

Thanks for the advice. I frequently consult with the technical administrator of my ISP (they're a local outfit), and all settings are correct and up to date.

Yesterday I physically pulled the NIC... I just had it for future expandability. Thus far the problem has not reoccurred. Since the error happens sporadically it will be some time before success can be demonstrated, but I'll repost either way.

It is very difficult to type with crossed fingers!

4. KookeyManjo

Removing the NIC did not solve the problem. Does anyone have any ideas?

I spent most of yesterday rummaging through Microsoft and Google postings. Any question remotely similar received no response or, at best, covered old ground.

Has anyone heard of 'ipconfig' showing two default gateways and PPP adapters, with the only solution being a reboot?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!