1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two Different IP Ranges on One Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dlebowski, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dlebowski

dlebowski Thread Starter

I need a little bit of guidance regarding a request that one of my clients is making. We have a WAN that consists of two different LANS. The one IP ranges is something like 88.888.88.x and the other is 77.777.77.x. We are trying to add a device to the 88.888.88.x network with an 77.777.77.x IP address associated with it. We have struggled to get the 77.77.77.x IP address to route. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

-R

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Those are invalid IP addresses ;)

Why do you need to give it 2 IP addresses? What are you trying to do exactly?

3. dlebowski

dlebowski Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. I just made those IP addresses up. I didn't do a very good job!

Let me start over. What we are trying to do is get a video conferencing camera going. The video conferencing camera needs to have a certain IP address in order for the other sites within the WAN to communicate with it. The camera will reside on one LAN that has an IP range of X, but the IP address associated with the camera has an IP range of Y. We are not sure how to get the LAN to recognize the Y IP address. Let me know if this still doesn't make sense. Thanks.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    So for example:

Your LAN right now is (ie) 192.168.0.0 /24
    Your camera is getting an address from 192.168.1.0 /24? From what you wrote thats what you want and have.

What is your camera model?

5. dlebowski

dlebowski Thread Starter

The LAN right now is 173.26.200.x and the camera is 74.19.183.162. The camera is a Polycom.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why are you using public IP ranges for your network? This is almost always a really bad idea. It would be MUCH smarter to use one of the IANA reserved address ranges for private networks.

192.168.0.0 --- 192.168.255.255
    172.16.0.0 --- 172.31.255.255
    10.0.0.0 --- 10.255.255.255

7. dlebowski

dlebowski Thread Starter

We do use private, again I just made those up. So I will quit doing that because I am creating confusion. Let's take the scenario you provided and go from there. Thanks for you patience John.

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    (note I'm aware that the numbers are not correct)

So for clarification, do you need to get the camera on the 173 network?

(PS it would be much easier if you stick to your real private IP addresses ;))

9. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

So you want a camera on to live on network "A" but talk back to applications or servers on network "b" correct? If you have a WAN i am sre you have some routing devices in place between the networks. You should be able to give the camera a IP for network it lives on, if your routing and ACL's are correct you shuld be able to hit it from ether side of the router.

Why dont you detail your network alittle more for us. Does it span over diffrent geographical locations? Is it all in the same building? is your "WAN" going over a point to point link? or VPN?

10. dlebowski

dlebowski Thread Starter

Yes. The camera needs to be on the 173 network.

(My next thread will have the real IP's)

11. dlebowski

dlebowski Thread Starter

Memnoch,

The WAN does span over multiple geographic locations and it is a point to point link.

12. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Okay, I just re-read the thread. You really need to post your network configuration so we can figure out what you got going on.

13. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

What kind of routers are you using? Cisco?

14. dlebowski

dlebowski Thread Starter

This is how it currently is setup. Any suggestions on how I could it different or why you don't think it would work, would be appreciated. Thanks again for all your help.

Attached Files:

15. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Your gateway device, is that a sonicwall? It seems like you have your LAN and then you have a DMZ. I dont really see what is happening here.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice