1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

two different networks

Discussion in 'Networking' started by drafter, Jun 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drafter

drafter Thread Starter

I have win2000 on my Laptop. Is it possible for me to have a second LAN connection so when I go into somebody else’s network I can see them and the can see me instead of changing all my settings.

Thanx

2. yellow_grrl

yellow_grrl

Yes, you can can have multiple LAN accounts... but remember that you must have the same workgroup name when creating a LAN connection with another computer(s).... and i m not certain if you can delete them once you have made them... hope this helps :)

3. drafter

drafter Thread Starter

HOW DO I CREATE A SECOND ACCOUNT. WHEN I GO TO MAKE NEW CONNECTION IT ASK ME FOR A PHONE NUMBER?

4. yellow_grrl

yellow_grrl

Ok to make a new Lan account you will go to "My Network Places" than you are going to want to select the "Setup a home or small office network". This will bring up a network wizard, follow through with that to make the account. You may want to wait and do this when you have your laptop connected to the other computer when you do this, via a router or cable. Hope it works for ya! :)

5. drafter

drafter Thread Starter

I dont see "Setup a home or small office network". Where do you find this?

6. yellow_grrl

yellow_grrl

Tell me what appears on your screen once you are into My Network Places.

7. drafter

drafter Thread Starter

>ADD NETWORK PLACES
    >ENTIRE NETWORK
    >COMPUTERS NEAR ME
    AND A COUPLE OF SHORT CUTS

8. yellow_grrl

yellow_grrl

it is probably under add network places

9. Compumedic

Compumedic

Here is what I do with my Notebook. If your network at home and the network you are going to both use DHCP then it is very easy. All you have to do is change the workgroup name on your Notebook, reboot and wait a few seconds for an IP address, subnet, etc. from DHCP and your on the network.

I use wireless at home (DHCP) and when I go to work all I do is enable my Ethernet NIC (don't have wireless at work), change my workgroup name, do the re-boot and wait a few sec. for an IP address.

Now if you are going to a network that is not peer-peer and uses a client/server model with a domain then the above will not work and things become a bit more complicated.

Hope this helps ya.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/143332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice