1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two Documents & Settings Folders

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GrGramps, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GrGramps

GrGramps Thread Starter

I recently put together a new computer. I installed WinXP for home on a new hard drive and then installed my backup.

I caused this problem when I installed the backup by telling it to install "Docs & Settings" within the Docs & Settings folder. So now I have a documents & settings folder within the documents & settings folder. Although everything works beautifully, this bugs me and I would like to get rid of one of these folders. One of my concerns is that the folders and files within the 2 folders are not identical.

I can't believe I'm the first to do this, but I have been unable to find any reference to show how to fix it. I would appreciate your thoughts on how I might resolve this. I would prefer not to have to do a clean install.

2. Augie65

Augie65

Open the folder that you want to delete inside of the Documents and Settings folder.
    Click Edit> Select All then Edit> Copy. Move this folder to another location. Then open your
    Documents and Settings folder that you want to keep. Edit> Paste. you should be asked if you want to replace files that are the same. Click yes and your duplicates will be replaced and any new ones will be added. If all is well, then you can delete the other folder.

3. spudnik

spudnik

get yourself a compression utility like Winrar, winzip, filzip, 7zip or similar program...

compress everything in the SECOND doc and Settings folder (the one WITHIN the other) and UNZIP overtop of the outer docs and setting folder.

now, you have moved without renaming every file. now switch to Administrator profile to delete the second Docs and Settings folder (and the docs and settings profile).

good luck, and if you need further help, post.

4. GrGramps

GrGramps Thread Starter

Spudnik & Augie - Thanks for the quick replies. I'm hoping that I'll get a chance to work on your suggestions tomorrow. They both sound logical and are not anywhere near the harebrained ideas that I had come up with. Today was build Habitat for Humanity houses, tomorrow, work on some projects that wifey has found necessary. Such is the life of an old guy who no longer has to work for a living. Wonder what it would be like to sit back and do nothing?

Will keep you posted. :)

5. GrGramps

GrGramps Thread Starter

You might have noticed that this was my first post in this forum, and after this experience you can bet I'll be back. That's because you guys hit the nail on the head.

Spudnik, I used Augie's procedure since I haven't had experience zipping files. I had only one problem which occurred when I was not asked about duplicate files. I was subsequently able to clean things up a bit.

I got rid of the extra folder and the computer runs as it should which was my goal and you guys have earned my greatest respect. Thanks so much.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/581533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice