1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two Domains one network = E-Mail problems between two domains

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TheBSide, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheBSide

TheBSide Thread Starter

Ok, here is the deal, and any help would be VERY much appreciated.
    The company I work for was purchased by a larger company and within 2 weeks we were moved into their building.
    The network Layout is as follows:
    Line in from the ISP goes to a switch, from that switch one cable goes to our Sonicwall 4060 Pro and one to their Cyberguard.
    Our External IP addresses, since they are given to us from the same ISP are very close in relationship. (Example: 62.2.1.30 and 62.2.1.31).
    There is not a trust built between the two domains as our domain is on a SBS 2003 server in which you cannot build trusts.
    Currently everything seems to be running fine with a few minor issues. These issues are;
    1.) We are not receiving e-mails from them. Our e-mail is up and we are receiving e-mails from outside parties.
    2.) They are not receiving e-mails from us. Their email is up and they are receiving e-mails from external parties.
    3.) When we try to Remote into their Terminal Server it times out.

I am at a loss as to why this would be. Could it have something to do with the switch connecting the two firewalls, or am I way off base.

PLEASE any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

2. srhoades

srhoades

Sounds like an issue with the SMTP port forwarding and the related firewalls/routers.

3. TheBSide

TheBSide Thread Starter

Funny, I think you dead nailed it.

The admin of our parent company was reluctant to give me access to his firewall to see if there were any problems. I ended up getting access through his boss, and come to find out that the IP address that he gave us when we moved in was being used for our video conferencing.

I am in the process of changing the IP to one that we have that is not being used.

thanks for your quick response. I will post back and let everyone know if this fixed it.

4. TheBSide

TheBSide Thread Starter

Ok, well it wasn't the settings of their firewall.

I have put in a new IP address for my network. I am still unable to access their terminal server from within the network, nor can I send to, or receive from them any emails.

I am a little perplexed. Please any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

5. TheBSide

TheBSide Thread Starter

Ok after further consideration, could it be that the two separate networks that run off of the same ISP run are on the same IP Segment?

Again, the IP's are "Example:" 62.2.1.30 and 62.2.1.31

thanks,
    Brian

6. srhoades

srhoades

Make sure you are on different subnets and that both servers are different internal IP's. I know it is comm0n to have servers be 10.10.10.10 or 192.168.1.10 or whatever but if they are both the same and both networks are on the same subnet that will create major issues.

7. O111111O

O111111O

What's the netmask of the SOnicwall/Cyberguard? (outside netmask)

If you have a line coming from ISP into a switch, and then that's connected to the outside of each respective firewall it sounds like your ISP is giving you some sort of /29 or bigger?

8. TheBSide

TheBSide Thread Starter

Here is a horrible rendition of my the network as I was thrown into it.
    I have been through every setting possible and I have even called our ISP's Engineers to see if they could set me up with an external IP that is not on the same segment. Both of our internal IP's are different, however they are both 255.255.255.0, as well as our externals are 255.255.255.240. I wouldn't see how the internal could be causing us headaches, however I could see how the external's are.
    (ISP)
    |
    -------------
    - SWITCH -
    -------------
    |
    ---------------------------------------------
    | |
    FW1 FW2
    External (IP: 67.93.53.232 /28) External(IP:67.93.53.233 /28)
    Internal (IP:192.168.1.1 /24) Internal (IP:10.0.0.1 /24)

9. TheBSide

TheBSide Thread Starter

Well, that turn out quite how I expected. Here is a revised copy

FW1 (SonicWall) = External (IP: 67.93.53.232 /28) Internal (IP:192.168.1.1 /24)
    FW2 (Cyberguard) = External(IP:67.93.53.233 /28) Internal (IP:10.0.0.1 /24)

10. O111111O

O111111O

So, for example you're trying to RDP/email from 10.0.0.10 to 67.93.53.232?

Or are you trying to RDP/email from 10.0.0.10 to 192.168.1.10?

11. rm2007

rm2007

I have a similar problem like yours. I just wonder have you found a solution for it. Anyone with suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Below is my problem:

I have a situation that I would like to get some help on.

I have an email server (exchange 2003 in windows 2003) IP 172.x.x.x range in domain gpusd.k12.ca.us

I also have a small business package windows 2003 server with exchange 2003 in the IP 10.10.20.x range in domain cal

From the 10.10.20.x range I can ping the IP 172.x.x.x range and vice versa. Both email servers are behind the firewall.
    Both are on different networks.

Situation:
    User A : user in exchange 2003 in the IP range 172.x.x.x domain gp
    User B: a user in exchange 2003 in the IP range 10.10.20.x domain cal

a) User A sends a message to User B. User B will receive the message.
    User B now reply to user A, but user A will not get the reply.
    User B doesnÂ’t get an undeliverable message. It seems like the message went to the black hole.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

= === ===

As you can see, User B tries to email from [email protected] to [email protected]
    And keeps getting message delayed as shown below:

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 8:54 PM
    To: Beto Hernandez
    Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Delay)

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed.
    [email protected]

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice