1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

two drives in XP to one in win.7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lynchpin, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lynchpin

lynchpin Thread Starter

I need to move windows XP that has 2 hard drives to a new computer with windows 7. The C drive has 75 gigs and the F drive has 150. The new Dell has 1TB. can I put both drives together on the new computer. What is the best method to move all the XP to the 7? Thanks for any help

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If it is an OEM you don't.

If it is retail install it on the new system and call Microsoft to deactivate the old and activate the new.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can't move one operating system into another, so I'm not sure what you're really asking. Are you just wanting to move data? You can't move programs and keep Windows 7. It won't work. You have to reinstall everything.

4. lynchpin

lynchpin Thread Starter

I was trying to move all the files and docs. from an XP computer to a new win 7 computer.
    I used the transfer files in both the XP and the 7 computer using a shared network. It is transferring
    now and will transfer 105 GB in another 3 hours. Thanks for your input.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK, transferring or copying data by network is a good way to do it. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919711

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice