two drives in XP to one in win.7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lynchpin

I need to move windows XP that has 2 hard drives to a new computer with windows 7. The C drive has 75 gigs and the F drive has 150. The new Dell has 1TB. can I put both drives together on the new computer. What is the best method to move all the XP to the 7? Thanks for any help

TerryNet

Terry
What is the best method to move all the XP to the 7?
If it is an OEM you don't.

If it is retail install it on the new system and call Microsoft to deactivate the old and activate the new.

DoubleHelix

Banned
You can't move one operating system into another, so I'm not sure what you're really asking. Are you just wanting to move data? You can't move programs and keep Windows 7. It won't work. You have to reinstall everything.

lynchpin

I was trying to move all the files and docs. from an XP computer to a new win 7 computer.
I used the transfer files in both the XP and the 7 computer using a shared network. It is transferring
now and will transfer 105 GB in another 3 hours. Thanks for your input.

TerryNet

Terry
OK, transferring or copying data by network is a good way to do it. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online