Two drives

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

IrisJ

I have just bought an ASUS desktop PC and find that there are two drives. One is the usual Windows "C" drive and the other is "D data" drive. My problem is that the "C" drive is very small and all my storage space is on the "D data" drive which has 2 TB. Everything seems to be saving to the "Windows C" drive how can I get the "D drive to become the main drive for everything. Can anyone help please??

Are your C and D drives two physical drives? Or is it one drive with two partitions? In either case, it would appear as two separate drives in Windows Explorer. You can verify this in Disk Management or Device Manager, or open your computer case and look to see how many hard drives are installed.

A lot of people opt to have a smaller Windows C drive or partition, and a larger drive or partition for data/storage. For example, you might have a smaller SSD for the OS and apps, then a larger mechanical HDD for storage (docs, pics, music, etc). When installing programs and downloading files, you can choose to install or save to your D drive instead C.

bobs-here

Bob
the need to know more is on point but i have found moving my documents folder to D drive helped to ease the issue. copying as much of the personal stuff to the larger drive helps with the transition of the files during the process.

also, the method may vary, depending on the version of your windows OS. this is for win7.
copied from the link below.

To redirect a folder to a new location

1. Click the Start button
    , and then click your user name.
  2. Right-click the folder that you want to redirect, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Location tab, and then click Move.

4. Browse to the location where you want to redirect this folder. You can select another location on this computer, another drive attached to this computer, or another computer on the network. To find a network location, type two backslashes (\\) into the address bar followed by the name of the location where you want to redirect the folder (for example, \\mylaptop), and then press Enter.

5. Click the folder where you want to store the files, click Select Folder, and then click OK.

6. In the dialog that appears, click Yes to move all the files to the new location.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/redirect-folder-new-location#1TC=windows-7

IrisJ

I have just bought an ASUS desktop PC and find that there are two drives. One is the usual Windows "C" drive and the other is "D data" drive. My problem is that the "C" drive is very small and all my storage space is on the "D data" drive which has 2 TB. Everything seems to be saving to the "Windows C" drive how can I get the "D drive to become the main drive for everything. Can anyone help please??

Thanks for getting back to me. As far as I can see its one drive two partitions. Can I make the larger drive, "D" the default drive to save everything to instead of "C". If so how can I do that or will it save to the larger drive when drive "C" runs out of room??

bobs-here

Bob
one method of default location during downloading, is to change the location.

when using a browser online, all downloaded programs/software goes to a location thats set as default (C:drive) location. but it can be changed to download stuff to another location.

open IE
open IE browser and click the gear symbol top right >click view downloads, see window open >click options (bottom).

click browse button and go to partition D. select a folder of your choice and click ok.

the default browser is usually IE or Edge. although, any default browser can be configured to download to a location of your choice. look in the settings of any other browser you may have set as default and look for the download location and use the browse button to configure the location to partition D.
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-download-location-ie-chrome

If so how can I do that or will it save to the larger drive when drive "C" runs out of room??
i would think not.. but its not got to such a point on mine before. usually, partition C would eventually show a message to show low memory on the partition.

Last edited:

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Please open Disk Management and check if it is 1 drive with 2 partitions or 2 separate drives.

IrisJ

Ive looked in the Disk Management and it is one drive with two partitions.

Healthy (EFI System Partition)
Windows (C) drive 150 GB NTFS Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

Data (D) drive 1712.41 GB NTFS
Healthy (Primary Partition)
500 MB Healthy (Recovery Partition.)

Is it possible to just rename by swapping the names around. ie Make Drive C Drive D

crjdriver

Is it possible to just rename by swapping the names around. ie Make Drive C Drive D
No. While it is technically possible to rename a system drive, it requires a VERY high level of skill AND a high degree of skill working with the CLI.

A simple fix is to shrink the D drive in disk management then extend the C drive into the now unallocated space. Note C and D must be next to each other in disk management in order to accomplish this task. If there is a recovery partition between the two, it will not work.

IrisJ

No. While it is technically possible to rename a system drive, it requires a VERY high level of skill AND a high degree of skill working with the CLI.

A simple fix is to shrink the D drive in disk management then extend the C drive into the now unallocated space. Note C and D must be next to each other in disk management in order to accomplish this task. If there is a recovery partition between the two, it will not work.

Thank you for that. Unfortunately there is a "500MB Healthy (Recovery Partition) in between them". I have been told to Clone my drives but do I clone C into D ( smaller into larger) or the other way round??

crjdriver

Cloning involves destroying all data on the destination so I highly doubt you want to do that. Since you have a recovery partition between the two drives, you have two choices;
1 Use a third party partitioning program like this one;
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
2 Purchase a larger hard drive and clone your existing drive to the new one. Hard disks are cheap and [If it were me] this is what I would do however up to you.

crjdriver

One other item I forgot to mention. Before messing with any partitions, make sure you have a current backup of anything important ie docs, pics, mp3s, whatever. While using the above program is not difficult, there is always a chance of a problem when editing partitions.

IrisJ

[
Cloning involves destroying all data on the destination so I highly doubt you want to do that. Since you have a recovery partition between the two drives, you have two choices;
1 Use a third party partitioning program like this one;
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
2 Purchase a larger hard drive and clone your existing drive to the new one. Hard disks are cheap and [If it were me] this is what I would do however up to you.

I am not going to buy a new HDD. I bought this computer a week ago and it has a 2TB hard drive it just isn't available as my default drive.

crjdriver

Since it is the only hd, it IS your default drive. Up to you; I have given you two options to fix your issue.

IrisJ

Since it is the only hd, it IS your default drive. Up to you; I have given you two options to fix your issue.
Sorry, thanks anyway. I'll just have get used to sending data to D drive myself instead of it defaulting. Thanks or your help, it is much appreciated. : o)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online