1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two error messages for the same problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by xico, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xico

xico Thread Starter

When I use Desk Architech to check out the sound for win98 I get a message that basically says "when a wav file is compressed using MPEG Layer 3" that I need to install a "CODEC" from "such as the one provided by Microsoft Net Show."
    When I tapped into my sound file from the Control Panel the message came up with "Windows cannot play the C:\Progra\Theme\Solar~1\Sounds\Solars~3 Wav file. . . .To resolve the problem replace the file or use Add/Remove Programss in Control Panel to install Audio Compression."

I don't seem to have Audio Compression, and the link I have to download MS Netshow doesn't seem to be available. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I feel quite stymied. :confused:

2. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

Go to the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs. Click on the windows setup tab. Click Multimedia. You will find the audio compression listed there. If it is not checked, check it. If it is checked, uncheck it, click apply, click OK. Restart the computer. Now go back and re-check it. You'll need the Windows CD unless you have the cab files on your computer.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

Edited to correct spelling.

3. xico

xico Thread Starter

Thank you, Kilowatt1. I think that's just the advice I needed. Thank you. What a great site!

4. xico

xico Thread Starter

Thank you, mark it solved, Kilowatt1
    Merci bien! Muchas gracias!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice