Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Two external hard drive will not work

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  storage_man 
#1 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD A6-3420M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 18 Model 1 Stepping 0
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 5606 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6520G, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (335 GB Free);
Motherboard: Acer, Aspire 5560
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Enabled and Updated

I have two external hard drives a Western Digital 3607A and Seagate Free Agent GoFLex. When I plug them into my computers, I hear them running, lights are on, I get a message on the computer stating installing software or driver. When the message says instillation finished and ready to use, no icon shows in my computer.
Is there any way to recover the information on the hard drives or repair them?
Thanks

#7 ·
I did that. I have a lap top and a desk top. Does not appear on either computer. Interestingly though, it says drivers are being downloaded, stated it was ready to use, and when it didn't appear in my computer, it did show that I needed to "eject" it, and then stated it was safe to remove.

#8 · (Edited)
Hi, (Sports) Mom! Lol. [emoji38]

Lets back up and punt here, shall we? :)

What is the manufacturer, model, size, and external power supply, please.

I think I know what is going on here and why your computer cannot read your external drives...

If your drives have (and the instructions MAY state optional) an external power supply you need to use it. If not, the only fix is that you need to get more power to the drives.

What I mean is this...

I have TWO Seagate 1.5TB external hard drives. They do not have external power supplies. So I had to improvise by purchasing a powered hub. The powered hub has to have a power supply to supply at least 5Volts @ 4Amps.

Your computer's USB ports only supply a 5V @ 500 mA worths of power. This means my computer (like yours) can recognize that it has something installed within one of your ports, but it does not know what to do with the device in "question" because the computer, for safety's reason, windows has safety commands built-in so as the devices will not draw more than 5v@500mA total for all USB ports on the motherboard. This statement varies for the remaining external ports on the motherboard. This is so there will not be a fire and your computer will not have a meltdown! [emoji15]

All you have to do to fix your issue is purchase a USB External Hub that has multiple USB ports and that is powered.

D-Link makes a decent sturdy hub that I have been using for years. They make a 2.0 version 7-port USB Hub for $24.00 and a 3.0 version for $36.45. If your drives are USB 3.0 and your computer has USB 3.0 ports (blue in color) then I suggest the 3.0 D-Link Powered Hub. Both prices quoted are from Amazon.com. Pictues are attached below for you. (Now none of these have a 5v@4A output for power, I quoted an older D-Link power supply -- either of these should suffice.)

I hope this helps you.

Cheers!

《♤》Sawuwaya / Spirit Wolfe 《♤》

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Attachments

#11 ·
No. Its not they cables because the can be detected on both computers.

With newer hard drives they need a little more power when you have two or more hard drives in use together, externally, especially when the software is preventing the hardware from getting enough power.

This is my three cents...lol. Good Luck.

Cheers!

《♤》Sawuwaya / Spirit Wolfe 《♤》

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I too have to go with "Sawuwaya" suggestion. Looking at the OP's laptop, it only has 3 USB 2.0 ports and the two External USB drives do not come with separate power supplies, I would have surmise that the laptop has power issues running the 2 drives concurrently. The suggestion of the powered hub should fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.