1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two games (running on source engine) keep freezing, tech issue?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dashdanw, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

Both counterstrike: source and day of defeat: source freeze after about 30 seconds in-game, the music loops and if i have music playing off of WMP it keeps going even to the next song. Some times i leave it long enough and the game just crashes but i find that mostly i have to restart. They both run off of the same graphics engine, which is what i think might be the problem but the games were working just a while ago. Im running SLI dual 7600GTs and its an AMD Athlon X2 one an ASUS M2N4-SLI MoBo (1GB Kingston RAM DDR2 533). Thanks for any help in advance! :D

2. NeVeRReSt

NeVeRReSt

When you run steam is everything else working fine?

Have you updated you GPU drivers?

Have you added any mods to you steam folder?

Has you steam been updating itself when it starts up, some times a bad install can cause this which causes your game to exit after a period of time.(happen to me about 10 times lol)

3. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

After i encountered the problem i deleted the local game cache of every source game and redownloaded them. I also tried the Beta drivers from the nvidia site. The continuing music would lead me to believe that everything else works fine when it freezes.

4. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder

From some of the things I have heard, STEAM might be the problem. I have yet to encounter anyone that didn't think that was total crap.

5. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

so then what do you suggest i do? should i try and reinstall the entire steam platform? this just started happeneing its been fine up until now.

6. NeVeRReSt

NeVeRReSt

instead of reinstalling the entire platform again (and games) download the steam config files that make the platform run and replace them.

7. DeLorean

DeLorean

Do you have onboard sound? As there is an issue with the Source engine and onboard sound although it's mainly towards Realtek onboard soundchips, it's been there since HL2 launched and Valve have no plans on fixing it although Realtek did release a driver especially for those who play Source-based games but that was about 2 years ago and the games still freeze with the driver but less frequently.

I can't remember off the top of my head (I use Realtek but not with Source anymore) but I think the driver may be version 3.69, if not you can easily find it by searching a few forums with "realtek source sound" or something similar but the last time i searched it took me a while to track it down.

I resorted to installing a 10 year old Creative card for when i play Day of Defeat or Dystopia so now i just have to move my speaker jack and switch audio devices in the Control Panel before and after I play.

8. NeVeRReSt

NeVeRReSt

The utility that checks your computer for programs that aren't compatible (from steam)

have you tryed this

give us some feedback

9. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

it turned out to be my C reative Sound Blaster 24-bit, is there some driver i can get to fix this because my built in AC '97 has a weired buzz to it which is why i was using the card to begin with!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/550880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice