1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two Hard Disks and GRUB location /dev/hdb6

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by zillah, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zillah

zillah Thread Starter

Code:
    grub> [B]find[/B] /boot/grub/device.map
       (hd0,5)

grub> [B]cat[/B] (hd0,5)/boot/grub/device.map
    # this device map was generated by anaconda
    (fd0)             /dev/fd0
    (hd0)            /dev/hda
    (hd1)            /dev/hdb

2. saikee

saikee

In a Grub prompt you instruct Grub by one line of command at a time.

root (hd1,0) <-------Tell Grub the root partition you want to boot. Grub then responds back telling you the partition type it discovers. So if type 0x7 NTFS is reported then the bugger has found it.

chainloader +1 <------------Tell Grub to boot its boot loader at the "+1" position. If Grub has no message then it means it has no problem and has hooked up as instructed

boot <-----------------Green light for Grub to proceed

Your /boot/grub/menu.lst has these 3 lines but it doesn't boot because the root reference was (hd0,0).

If you can boot it manually in a Grub prompt with reference (hd1,0) that means it works. All you need to do is to replace the "0" in "hd0" with "1" to become "hd1" in your /boot/grub/menu.lst.

You don't need to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst if you prefer to boot your Windows manually every time but changing one number from "0" to "1" is all it takes to make the Grub menu works.

---------------------------------------------------------------

As your device.map is different to my prediction can you confirm if Fedora boots not not?

Since you have been able to supply the various files I have assumed Fedora boots according to the condition (hd0)=hdb

Can you also confirm if Windows boots with root (hd1,0)?

It now appears that if you stick to your original setting and tell the BIOS to boot hda first then it will solve all your problems, as it will give the (hd0) status to hda and everything will match.

You can then tell us how did you manage to arrive at the situation with (hd0)=hdb.

3. zillah

zillah Thread Starter

grub> root (hd1,0)
    Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7

Ok.

The cursor stuck ,,,nothing happen!!!

I think you have posted the reply before you have seen my reply.

4. saikee

saikee

OK

I forgot you need to re-map the drives because your Windows could have been installed while it was in the (hd0) position.

Windows should boot as follow
    Code:
    root (hd1,0)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    chainloader +1
    boot
    Grub can't read a NTFS partition! There are many foreign systems that Grub can't read but it can still boot them.

As the thing stands Grub should be able to boot systems before Grub was born and future systems that haven't been invented yet, as long as the new systems confirm to the PC standard. Grub stands for "Grand United Boot loader"

5. zillah

zillah Thread Starter

Now it has done.

What shoudl I do next ?

6. saikee

saikee

Report current situation

Was Windows booted from root (hd1,0)?

Did Fedora boot?

My PC has firewall and various securities blocking "chatting" so I can't respond to your online message.

7. zillah

zillah Thread Starter

From "grub >" I typed in these command :

root (hd1,0)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    chainloader +1
    boot

line by line ("In a Grub prompt you instruct Grub by one line of command at a time.
    ") ,,,,,then I was introduced by the normal windows bootloader (DOS black screen),,,,Do I need to restart PC to be to see Grub again ? I am waiting for your reply,,,I have done any thing yet.

8. saikee

saikee

Grub should boot up your Windows and disappears itself.

Grub will only be seen the next time you reboot the PC. It is nothing but a boot loader to boot any system of your choice. It has no role to play after your chosen system has booted up. If Grub stays behind and asks for money I would shoot its head off.

9. zillah

zillah Thread Starter

Yes this what happend to me as well.

1- Now if I want to boot Linux,,,what should I do,,,,

2- Do I need to repeat the same procedure every time I want to boot windows ?

3- Does that mean I can not see the nice color for grub again ?

10. saikee

saikee

Second last line of my reply in Post #17
    Can you understand the meaning of it?

If you don't want to reconfigure everything then putting the booting disk order with hda at the beginning of the booting queue can potentally solve all your problems. Would not not like to try this first?

Do the minimum first but it is not a big deal to reconfgure the Fedora to suit your current setup. So Windows now boots successfully.

11. zillah

zillah Thread Starter

But how can I tell the BIOS ?What should I do ,,,,I can not change the order form COMS itself....is there any other suggestion ?

12. saikee

saikee

Normally pressing the "del" key when you boot up a computerwill trigger the BIOS screen. Some computes use "F1", "F2", "F10" and so on.

OK if you don't know this fundament technique to investigate the hardware set up we can still boot the two systems. Lets take stock as follow and correct me if anything inaccurate

(1) Windows is now bootable at root (hd1,0) manually so no needed to change.

(2) You have Fedora Grub menu at boot time but Fedora is still not bootable, right? However you have been able to supply Fedora's internal files like device.map, menu.lst. Can you confirm the method of obtaining them as Fedora cannot be booted? You will have to do it with Fedora installation CD, a Live CD or something like that. The answers can me to formulate a solution.

(3) Do you know how to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and /boot/grub/device.map if instructions are given? By that I mean can you use editor "vi" in terminal mode if you don't have access to a Graphic desktop? Doing it in terminal mode is best because the files are system-related and require root privileges not always available at a Graphic desktop.

13. zillah

zillah Thread Starter

My answer will be post #13

The reason I have asked the quoted below, because many times you have pointed that might be booting order in BIOS get confused
    I was aksing you, is there any other thing, other that what I did (F1 my case to enter CMOS),,,,,,,,,in BIOS that I have got I can not change the boot order of the devices,,,,and I did check before I posted my thread here, that Master in the right place and slave in right place,,,,(The test that I did :removing slave HD and keep master and check BIOS).

Yes

14. saikee

saikee

Every PC must allow you to arrange the booting queue, say floppy is the 1st, ollowed by CD drive and then the hard disks.

Within the hard disks one can nominate any one to be the 1st bootable disk. That is why Linux can be boot from USB devices including external hard disks.

Only old mobo disallowing the slave from booting ahead of a master disk. Let's us this is your case and open up the box to swap the cable connections of hda and hdb is not preferred.

You must freeze the cable connections and Bios setup from now on.

Steps to make Fedora bootable again.

(1) Amend device.map as follow
    Code:
    (fd0)            /dev/fd0
    (hd0)            /dev/hd[color=red]b[/color]
    (hd1)            /dev/hd[color=red]a[/color]
    (2) Amend /boot/grub/menu.lst as follow
    Code:
    title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)
    root (hd[color=red]0[/color],5)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img

title WinXP and 2003
    rootnoverify (hd[color=red]1[/color],0)
    [color=red]map (hd1) (hd0)
    map (hd0) (hd1)[/color]
    chainloader +1
    Think that should do it.

15. zillah

zillah Thread Starter

From grub> how can I modify (configure) device.map and /boot/grub/menu.lst to change the content of these two files to what you recommended.

I tried vi /boot/grub/device.map and vi/boot/grub/menu.lst,,,,,,,,,,,,it did not work.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice