1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two hard-drives… I think!!??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rasu, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rasu

Rasu Thread Starter

Can anyone please help me figure out how I can use both my harddrives?? I recently got a used computer from someone who left the country. The PC has 2 harddrives when I open it up, but when I log in, I can only see one drive (Drive C).

I ran an application that gives a screenshot information of installed components in our PC (called Belarc Advisor), and it gave me the following information about my processor and harddrive:

Processor:
    450 megahertz Intel Pentium III (2 installed)
    32 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Hard Drives:
    27.31 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    21.38 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

FUJITSU MPE3273AH [Hard drive] (27.32 GB) -- drive 0
    FUJITSU MPE3273AH [Hard drive] (27.32 GB) -- drive 1

So it looks like I actually have dual Pentium 3 processors, and two internal harddrives as well. Is that right? More importantly, how can I access the SECOND harddrive, so that I can perhaps format it and use it as extra storage space?? Please please help.

Thank you.

2. DVOM

DVOM

In w2k or XP you can right click "my computer>manage>disk management".

In there you should be able to partition the extra drive and format it.

3. Miz

Miz

Check to see if TweakUI is installed. In XP, it will be on the Start Menu. Expand the My Computer category, select Drives and make sure there are check marks in all boxes. (All boxes because you don't know what drive letter designation was given to the second drive) Click OK and see if the second drive is visible.

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy Rasu...

Looks to me like you have a server, and the hard drives are probably setup as a Mirrored set...

If that's the case the second hard drive it the mirror of the first...

5. Rasu

Rasu Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply. I was able to right click "my computer>manage>disk management", and from there, I saw the second harddrive, assigned it a letter (Drive_E), and was prompted to format it (it was empty). I formated it in NTFS, and I now have my 2 harddrives back!

:)

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Cool I guess I was wrong....

7. Rasu

Rasu Thread Starter

Actually the JediMaster can never be wrong! ;-)

This PC was used as a server before. I too had suspected what you had thought too. THANKS! (y)

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

LOL!!! I wished that were true ( at least where my wife is concerned ;) )....

But glad it is working thanks to DVOM...

9. DVOM

DVOM

Jedi_Master, I got lucky on that one. But you were completely right, it was a server. I had initially missed that.

10. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Hey no problems here my friend :D ...

If it was a Mirrored set, not 100% sure that the mirror could be broken by formating through Disk admin. ( never tried it ), so looks like it wasn't a morrored set...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!