1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

two hard drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by buckkillr8, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buckkillr8

buckkillr8 Thread Starter

I just installed a 320gb I had around in a spare PC. I was reading up on jumping everything and understood that I should set the main HD as master and the spare HD as slave on the primary IDE connector, then set my DVD drive as CS on the secondary.
    My problem is that the master and slave connectors on the ribbon cable aren't long enough to reach both drives.(only places the drives will fit) So I hooked everything up CS while I put the main HD on the primary IDE and then hooked the DVD and spare drive on the secondary IDE. Everything seems to work fine and I can see both drives and everything, but on bootup I have to go into the boot menu and pick the main HD to boot. Is it safe to run everything this way? And if so how do I fix the booting issue?

2. artimus

artimus

I guess I'm lost?? I don't understand how your IDE cable couldn't be long enough. Your main drive should be at the end of the IDE cable & your slave should be on the same cable on the lower connector. Then of course you can buy a longer cable for just a few dollars. It's safe to run the way you are setup but it sure isn't the best way..

3. buckkillr8

OK, here's how it's setup... my main HD is at the bottom setting up veritcal, the space above that has a card reader then the space above that is where I put the other drive. The space between the master and slave connectors isn't spaced out far enough to reach both. Before you ask, if I swapped the HD locations the IDE cable still would not reach both HD's.

4. Megabite

Megabite

you could check in Bios and the boot order and makesure that the bootable one is first in the boot order......save and exit.

Also you could buy a longer cable

5. buckkillr8

I've done that and everything seems fixed now. I plan to just buy a longer cable and hook it up the right way.

I am reading right that the HD's should be hooked master and slave then the Cd/DVD hooked up CS on the secondary right?

6. Megabite

Megabite

there is not really a hard and fast rule ,....what ever works

Xp likes CS aslong as you have the HD connected correctly

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!