1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

two harddrives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by seizard, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. seizard

seizard Thread Starter

I have a 9 GB harddrive and just installed a 60 GB harddrive. I do a lot of multimedia type activities on my computer so obviously, I want to use the bigger/faster harddrive as my main system. I thought I had set it up this way, but my system boots with the my old harddrive as C:. The new harddrive shows up as D:. How do I make the D the main drive? Can I set it up so that my operating system starts up on D?

Please help, I am a total amateur on this and don't want to try fixing it by trial and error.

2. raz

raz

I had a similar problem some time ago.

You shold note that your system may prevent you from doing this as older systems may only recognise part of a larger hard drive due to the bios limitations

However try this

You may be able to swap hdd around ie. 9GB = Disk 2 (slave) 60GB= primary disk 1

or go into the bios and change bios set up so that D = Boot up disk.

BOL
    RAZ

3. J. Franklin

J. Franklin

Hey! I attend the school of Trial and Error. I go to classes everyday. You'll never catch me paying anyone for the experience I'm gaining here at home. But, anyway, set the jumper on the 60gig for master. Set the jumper on the 9gig for slave. When you plug in the ribbon cable always place the master on the end and the slave in the middle. Or, you can set the jumpers on both for master and plug the 60 into the primary controller and the 9 into the secondary controller. The common configuration is the 60gig as the primary master, the cdrom as the primary slave and the 9gig as the secondary master. The new drive may or should have came with a quick install guide. The guide will show you the basic configuration and placement of your drives.

4. Rockn

Rockn

You will need to transfer your OS to the 60GB drive with something like ghost, jumper it for master, set the 9GB jumpers to slave, reboot, go into the BIOS and configure the drives, reboot and you should be running again. Good idea to make a backup if you are new to this so you don't loose any of your data. If you don't care you might be better off attempting to install Windoze on the larger drive from scratch.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Most hard disks either come with image transfer software, or you can download it from their website. You need to transfer the system to the larger hard disk, jumper it as the master, and away you go. :)

6. seizard

seizard Thread Starter

I've done all that. It should be hooked up right. We installed the OS on both hard drives I don't understand why it's not working. Any other ideas?

7. slipe

slipe

Use your startup disc and fdisk. Set your large drive as the active partition if you haven’t done that.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115447

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice